ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Change

T

Tony Morrell

Insider Report - Monday, Dec. 22, 2008

Insider Report - December 22nd

For continuity reasons, if you have question regarding this report, please use today’s “Ask Tony" thread on The Insiders Forum.

Recruiting Tidbits

Steve Spurrier and Ellis Johnson were in the home of Rock Hill (S.C.) South Pointe four-star safety DeVonte Holloman last week, and Spurrier broached the subject of the athletic Holloman lining up on offense in Columbia. Wide receiver is a position previously discussed with Holloman, and now Spurrier has mentioned the idea of taking a look at Holloman at quarterback. Holloman was a signal-caller earlier in his career and saw some time there at last week’s North-South All-Star Game.

St. Matthews (S.C.) Calhoun County 2010 offensive lineman Eric Mack was at Carolina’s practice yesterday. While he didn’t claim a leader in the article on the front page, the Gamecocks are still the team to beat. Greenwood (S.C.) teammates Sam Montgomery, Kelcy Quarles and Byron Best also attended the workout.

Coaching Talk

There is some talk that Mark Smith is having second thoughts about taking the Tennessee job and may end up staying at Carolina. He has attended every practice since word came out that he had accepted the Vol job, and I hear nothing has changed in terms of his day to day routine. I could know more on his situation later today.

Vanderbilt offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell is still the primary target in terms of John Hunt’s replacement, but he’s currently focused on his team’s bowl game. Look for an answer from him shortly after the Commodores’ Music City Bowl appearance. If Caldwell turns it down, Tennessee’s Greg Adkins is someone who I hear has a strong interest in the job.

Team Information

With Akeem Auguste having been ruled out of the bowl game, I look for Carolina to primarily utilize a 4-3 scheme with Darian Stewart and Chris Culliver as the safeties, and Eric Norwood, Jasper Brinkley and Marvin Sapp as the linebackers.

If you have any news or tips you'd like to share, please send an email to recruiting@gamecockcentral.com
This post was edited on 12/22 2:05 PM by Tony Morrell
This post was edited on 12/26 10:40 PM by Brian Shoemaker
This post was edited on 12/26 10:41 PM by Brian Shoemaker

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News