ADVERTISEMENT

Only one PSAL D-1 player? Oh My God

mwingate

NYCHoops Publisher
Sep 11, 2007
Just read an article that said last year the PSAL only produced one Division 1 player (Justin Jenkins from Wings Academy) who was academically eligible. If this is true, that's truly scary.

LOLOLOLO YOU PEOPLE ARE SO FUNNY ITS CRAZY. OK FIRST, WE HAVE TO GET TO THE BETTER EDUCATED MIDDLE SCHOOL FAMILIES BEFORE THE PRIVATE AND CATHOLIC SCHOOLS GET TO THEM. 2ND, WE HAVE TO EDUCATE THE MIDDLE SCHOOL AGENTS ABOUT THE ACADEMIC STANDARDS IN JHS, HS AND COLLEGE. THIRD, WE SHOULD HAVE WORKSHOPS FOR PARENTS TO KEEP THEM AWARE AND UPDATED WITH THEIR KIDS EDUCATION INSTEAD OF RANKING THEIR BASKETBALL SKILLS IN THE 4TH GRADE. FOURTH, WE CAN PROMOTE OUR PUBLIC SCHOOLS WHO HAVE TEACHER/COACHES THAT CARE ABOUT THEIR STUDENTS/ATHLETES INSTEAD OF CRITICIZING WHAT THEY DONT DO. FIFTH, WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT NO MATTER HOW MANY FEW GOOD ATHLETES THAT GO THROUGH THE CATHOLIC OR PRIVATE SCHOOLS, MOST OF US HAVE TO GO PUBLIC SCHOOL SO WE AS A COMMUNITY WILL ALWAYS LOOSE MORE. SIXTH, OUR PUBLIC SCHOOL COACHES MUST STEP THEIR GAME UP AND GO FIND THE STUDENT ATHLETES AND FORGET ABOUT RECRUITING JUST THE ATHLETE. SHOULD I GO ON?

Yes. Please go on because NYC is at ground zero with one D-1 representative from the public school system.

The system is totally flawed if the case because then what is the point of needing to pass regents to graduate if that doesnt qualify you for college unless the SAT scores are not matching with the required GPA to pass clearing house? All that sounds good what T is talking about but he knows coaches and administrators need to be more active in steering them to qualify by kicking dudes off not taking school work serious and having mandatory study hall and qualified tutors. Maybe not hire pooky n nem for assistants and get dudes with degrees on the bench to also be subject tutors. That is appalling if you telling me only 1 kid out of over 1000 players qualified for D 1 ball. We need to have a parade or banquet for Cox, Billy, and Justin then because that is a serious achievement there. I want to believe they are referring to AA level which is still bad but not the entire PSAL.

Here is a reality check...that figure is bogus. There were absolutely more basketball kids that qualified academically than Justin Jenkins. The fact is, the kids who qualified were not offered scholarships. Also, there were more scholarships offered and accepted in football, baseball and track and field as well as non traditional sports. Finally, there are also the A and B divisions that we are finally starting to respect, that have had scholarship players in recent years. Did we factor those kids in?

You want the solution to this problem? Tell these parents out here to be real parents and stop pushing these kids out like they're wolves to go out there and raise themselves. check their homework and make them read and do math and read the newspaper and watch the news everyday from when they are in elementary school. Too many irresponsible adults are having kids when they games are sloppy and they are not fit to raise a goldfish. As for the kids, whenever you see them shaking their butts and singing this dumb ass music turn that (mess) off and make them write you a paragraph or give them a worksheet to complete. Go to open school night and join the PTA. PUNISH THEM FOR MESSING UP IN SCHOOL! Take away those phones, IPODS, televisions, privileges, and do not let them go outside if they are not doing well in school. Stop buying them a damn thing if those grades ain't right and stop making excuses for them. Get them the help they need from tutoring, after school programs or educate your selves! You lead, and if they see you put emphasis on school then then they will have YOUR value system. If you don't have the knowledge, want more for your kid and don't accept less because you fell short. Don't leave your child's future up to coaches who just want them eligible to play or want them to travel in the summer. We as coaches may love your kids, but a lot less when their time and eligibility is up. Now we love the new kids who will be playing for us more and we will focus on them.

Wingate, Rich Kosik, the Funsport Director Ricky Rivers came up to Wadleigh in the Fall before the season started. Ms. Whitehead, Coach James Barrett, Jason Curry, Professor Swish and other coaches and noted guests were the panelists and they had a conference. All people were invited. Kids, parents and all were welcome. Under 100 people showed up, but the education process about getting qualified was right on front street. Ms. Whitehead gave 1st hand experiences and accounts about her son being recruited and what she has to do as a parent, Jay Curry explained the signing process and academics, Rich Kosik gave his experiences with coaching the Elite at ABCD camps,Coach Barrett asked questions and got educated and used the information provided. One question? Where were the kids and parents that are looking in from the outside who aren't qualified? They weren't there right? Hell no!

I blame it on social promotion that makes economic sense. When I went to school getting back was as low as you can go in the hood. People had more respect for drop outs. At least they were hard core. Now getting left back is a badge of honor. Some parents who don't have that value system even leave their kids back on purpose for basketball reasons? that's proof we need slavery back. At least for a week so some of these people can wake up and put education as a 1st priority again. No middle school principal is going to allow a 16 year old 8th grader to be on their budget another year.
So they come up with packets, portfolios and ways to justify moving them along and then they are high school's problem. Now they are in school with elementary and remedial skills and have to pass Regents courses and exams. Good luck with 4th and 5th grade reading and math levels. When they turn 18 and they are still in the 9th grade, they get shipped out to GED programs. you can write the ending yourself from there.

If you need JUCO then use it to get your credits and your books up. get your degree and keep playing and get your BA (which has become the new high school diploma). Graduate with no loans to pay back and you can always go back to school on a graduate level.

the problem has nothing to do with the PSAL, but they buckled and came up with a the dumbest idea in the world which was to increase the academic standards.

I realize this stat doesn't take into account other sports and I realize that D-2 level athletes etc are left out as well as the fact that the college has got to make an offer to the student and then he has to be academically eligible. It also only applies to boys. I understand to get a D-1 scholarship does take a perfect storm of athletic ability and academic achievement but one player amongst so many is still absolutely mind boggling.

We all know the solutions but still it gets worse as parents are getting younger and younger and less and less educated. For some reason this stat still bothers me because it literally can't get worse. We can't go to sub-zero.

This reminds me of the recent situation with financial institution. The public school system is failing so should we let it just die and rebuild from the ground up or is the PSAL too big to fail?
This post was edited on 4/16 11:48 AM by mwingate

I blame the adults. Parents, teachers and coaches. These are the people who care for these kids throughout the day. I've heard what parents need to do better but what do the coaches and teachers plan to do better. Obviously what they are doing right now isn't enough.

Easy to pass blame. A lot more ballsy for teachers and coaches to accept some blame and admit that they could be part of the problem too. When you think about it teachers and coaches combined spend more waking hours with these kids
mad0007.r191677.gif

Come on now, that is the blind leading the blind in most cases when it comes to parents and expecting them to educate their kids. A lot of them in this arena lack education or the values themselves. Simply put they need more emphasis on resources to tutor in these aau programs during the weekend. No excuse, you can practice then you can tutor. Same for coaches on hs teams if the school lacks the resources. There is a reason the Coach needs a bachelor's and assistants 60 credits.

WOW...The masses agree that there are problems with the system. That includes everyone who is entertained by these kids.The AAU/School teams attitude is "if the kid can play for me know, who cares about what he will do when he leaves". Programs promising "live" period travel and sneakers and book bags draw the kids in. Promising the kid if he works out with them, the can go pro and get "free tuition". If the "direction" is coming from someone who doesnt have their own education, then why would theey value the education of the "player".

This blaming teachers and coaches sound so ridiculous that I can't even imagine what kind of parent this guy is.? Listen. Mathematically the teachers or the HS coaches don't have enough time to mold these young adults! If you know anything about a school program. These students may see 6 to 8 different teachers thoughtout one day! So which one should take the blame? The time spent in each class is about 250 minutes per week. Most of these student spend more time online reading all this bullst. The coach get about 20 hours per week if he's a good coach about half of that is study hall. So subtract that from the 168 hrs in a week subtracted by the 36 hours they may spend in the classroom for the week. That's 132hours left in a week that go to the student and his family. So let's take the 132 subtract by the hours of good sleep in a week which is about 56 hrs. That leaves 76 hours during the week which is about 11 hrs per day. Subtract travel time etc. and I will give about 7 hours per day that these student athletes have to find a way to be successful with no blame from others! so you see ! most of us are not capable of this math problem. We take the easy way out and pass the blame! It's takes more then a community to help our youth of today! Yes things will get worst! Until we start advertising the truth! The truth is the majority of our athletes have a better chance being a math teacher then a NBA player or an bentertainer. But the math lesson is not taught. its never taught to most. To sum this up, these student/athletes must be taught at a young age how to spend their time to be successful. Otherwise, they will lost it and never get it back! Should I go on?

When you say "We take the easy way out and pass the blame!" are YOU included in WE or does mean everybody else except YOU? Just curious.

Nope. No need to go on. I get it. Not your problem. It's somebody else's
problem. It's anybody else's problem except teachers and coaches. lol

Props to coach Billy Turnage for helping to make sure Justin Jenkins had his stuff together. He needs to write a manual and hand copies out to the rest of these adults who can't seem to find the time.

You know I get a little carried away at times but I have to realize that for the most part I am not talking to people who ever worked with kids on any level. I am trying to stay positive and refrain from addressing people that don't get it. In life unfortunately the people who raise your blood pressure are the people who really don't know what the ($#%*) they are talking about. If anything, think about that.

That said, as a coach, don't expect me to do a damn thing other than coach kids in basketball, teach them something about life from my experiences, voice the correct way to do things and provide resources (tutoring, study hall, SAT Prep, Saturday school referrals and mandatory seminars for undergraduate student athletes) for them to stay eleigible, graduate for high school and to ultimately play on the next level if it is possible. The reality is, the population I deal with, there are realistic goals that are obtainable for each kid and not all of them will progress or succeed at the same rate. Its the same for adults. That's why we have the corner office in corporate America and that's why we have cubicles.

The blame is 90% for parents when kids do not succeed in whatever they want to do. There are countries in the world that execute parents for the crimes of their family members. Kathy Black was the School Chancellor for a hot minute. At a town hall she addressed a parents who wanted to know about cuts of after school programs, for parents who work. She said, "hire a babysitter". When the parent responded that she didn't have the money, Black responded to "stop having kids". That was the end of Kathy Black in NYC. Idealistically, she had a point. At some point people have to hold parents accountable for raising their own kids and not leaving it to strangers. I work with the results everyday and it is not fair to the kids.

Hey Wingate, you saw that parent from New Jersey in the fall that found his way to Harlem on a Friday night to get educated and his son didn't even come. Where were the parents that you are alluding to that should have really been there? If Justin Jenkins is the only one who qualified, (that got an offer) who got an offer and did not qualify? That bullet is to bite for that family and that kid and if you think a coach is to blame, then blame is the lowest common denominator. I am a parent. When my son doesn't cut the mustard in anything, it my fault, his moms fault and we make an evaluation from the inside. Strangers are not family and not accountable for mine. That's how I move as a parent. If you look at these kids getting shot and locked up and joining these punk gangs, the majority of the time, they are unsupervised and should not have been in the mix in the first place. I made a decision to not be friends with my son and raise him. The way I see it, we can be friends once he becomes a man. I tell him all of the time, "when I come to you for money or to borrow your car or ask you to hook me up with one of your fine ass homegirls, then we are friends. Until then, I'm the boss and you the worker". It has to be like that. And even then there are no guarantees. What you CANNOT do as a parent is "nothing and listen to fools and blame people when things don't work out".

Dont forget principal cox and his grades standards needs to even play ball at wings.

If u are not doing Ur job at work and get fired is that the bosses
Fault? So why blame the teaches and coaches. Kids don't work hard
And their parent allow this bs to happen and blame everyone else
Don't hand me single parent household crap either
Don't want to hear " no one told me " " I didn't know" all excuses
Coaches and teachers are ther to aid and assist but if a kid doesn't
Utilize these tools then u reep what u soe
Shit in. Shit out. That's how it goes. U get out what u out in.
Put in shit. Then that's what u get back. Basketball is a tool a means
Of getting a " look" for college. Maybe some money for Ur education
If u can't do hs math how Are u going to do college math?
Some coaches check report cards. Some say son. I can't play till grades are
Up to par. Hahahah. That kid goes to another team. Or high school.
I'm glad I was involved from the jump. I didn't care. My kid. My rules
Ur grades suk. Then u aren't going any where except to the library
My kid never failed a single subject. He did struggle with a subject or two
But guess what He worked on it and worked on it. Just like he worked on
Foul shooting To get better. U must have the proper balance in life
Cause u know what. Life willi u square in the mouth. And then what will u do?

This post was edited on 4/17 12:21 AM by COOSCOOS13

TOP IM A FORMER PLAYER WHO HAD TO GO TO PREP SCHOOL, JUCO THEN D1 SO I KNOW ALL THE BS THAT GOES ON. AND FROM MY EXPERIENCE IF I HAD THE DESIRE AND PROPER GUIDANCE AS A YOUTH, MAYBE I WOULD HAVE MADE LESS TRIPS. BUT IT DOESNT MATTER HOW YOU GET THERE AS LONG AS YOU FINISH. I JUST WISH OUR YOUTH ARE READING THESE POSTS BECAUSE MAYBE THEY CAN OR WILL DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN THE CHARACTER YOU ARE AND THE MESSAGE IN HAND. YOU MUST KNOW THAT IM ALSO A FORMER HS PLAYER, A PARENT, TEACHER, COACH AND AAU COACH. SO MAYBE I HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE TO THE ISSUES AT HAND. WHO ARE YOU? YOU SOUND LIKE THE KING OF THE BAC (BAD ADVICE CREW) BUT GUYS OR PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE USEFUL. THE STUDENTS NEED TO TAKE BLAME FOR THEIR ACTIONS AND CREDIT FOR THEIR SUCCESS THS IS THE COMPUTER ERA! ANYTHING THEY NEED TO KNOW IS A FINGER AWAY! LOOK I JUST GOOGLED BAC AND I SEEN YOUR FACE! LOLOLOLOLLOL NEED SOME HUMOR THESE CHARACTERS DONT QUIT!

OH STOP DISRESPECTING MY MAN BILLY. I KNOW HE HAS MORE THAN ONE COLLEGE KID. BUT TOP THE GOAL OF US COACHES IS TO SEE MEN NOT KIDS JUST GOING TO COLLEGE. WE NEED TO SEE OUR ADULTS COME BACK AND GIVE BACK. COME CHECK OUT OUR ALUMNI GAMES YOU WILL SEE SUCCESS YOU WILL SEE WHAT REAL COACHES DO BUT WHO ARE YOU? WHAT'S YOUR PLACE IN THIS SOCIETY LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO

OK lets say we agree that 90% blame is on the parent. Who gets the other 10% of the blame?

I say any aau or travel program without a legitimate academic component is partially t blame.
Any aau/travel program that lets a kid travel or play with them when they should be in summer school is to blame.
Any high school or aau/travel program that doesn't have mandatory parent ed for student-athletes is at fault.

The PSAL, CHSAA, and NCAA is at fault.
NCAA clamping down on academic requirement without addressing the core problem will only bring to light the problem with higher numbers but who knows, maybe that is a necessary first step.

Where the hell is ihoops and all the nonsense they were talking. They're at fault too.They're just about money

Sneaker company's are at fault. They line high school coaches pockets with money and make them feel like college coaches. Being sponsored by a sneaker company means you have to win or else be dropped so they compromise their morals even if its unintentionally

Those who sell the myth that its athlete-student instead of student-athlete is at fault.

Those who promote reclassifying as if academics is secondary to athletics is at fault.

Media that promotes athletics and downplays or dismisses academics is at fault.

Any tournament who gives an award for athletic accomplishment without linking it to academics is at fault.

Any coach that doesn't have a tutorial component to their team is at fault.

If academics is attached at the hip to success in junior high school and high school success from the kids point of view meaning playing time they will start getting it together. Many of these kids are more intelligent than we give them credit for. They understand complex plays and have basketball IQ which means they have an IQ

If we all stop thinking of ourselves as coaches, teachers and even parent of of our own kids and more like a village where one kids failure impacts us all, things would start getting better but as long as nobody takes any blame, the problem will continue.

Every chance I get I'm going to speak to kids about what education linked to athletics means. While my reach is limited and I'm busy as hell, I'm not going to use that as an excuse.

If we set a tone that academics is also cool maybe things will begin to move in the right direct. Hopefully the coaches and teachers who don't accept any responsibility are in the minority.

Just like people who've been abused end up becoming abusers, people who have been down that negative prep, juco road could become the best
at exploiting kids coming down that same path..

Coaches ask their players to give more why not lead by example ad give even more than youre currently giving. When these public schools end up closing you'll wish you did.

This post was edited on 4/17 1:35 AM by TopDawg7

T you are wasting your time. The easiest thing in the world is to take a problem in the world and blame somebody for it. We are parents, coaches, college and graduate school graduates and former players. We watch TV and see the NCAA tournaments and see kids we coached, and coached against, we see the NBA and see tha same thing and years ago, we see NBA players that we played with and against LOL! That said, we are participants and on the front line for this problem and we address it everyday to the point where it can affect our OWN families and households. I will be damned if I allow myself to be on the same platform as someone who does nothing, says nothing and has the same ability I do to make a change and then is gone blame ME?

I blame the nobody people who have the guts to blame me when I work hard and they do nothing except complain. In the words of Xi Chin Xang "in a state of crisis, no man is so weak that he cannot help".

Who disrespected billy? My comments were for praise? Is psalguy referring to someone on it specifically when he says nobody and never dealt with kids?

Billy works as hard as any other coach or harder. For every kid that he has that qualifies academically, he has 10 that end up on the milk box just like everybody else. If you need a certain average to play at Wings, what good is it if the kid tanks the SAT or ACT? Coaches should not take credit for kids that qualify and not get stained for kids that don't. At the end of the day, its all about the kid, his family and the resources his school provides (SAT prep, online classes, PM school, credit recovery, summer school, NCAA Clearinghouse classes). As coaches, we ride the tails of the success of the kid and bear the brunt of the blame when the kid drops the ball academically. I can't stand hearing, "That coach don't care about the kids. that kid played four years and didn't qualify". Its always the coach or the program. That's why the PSAL backed into this corner and is letting outsiders force them to raise the academic standards.

I am being specific about people who don't do anything in the game or work with kids. If the shoe fits, wear it. If you work with kids then I am not speaking in tongues. I am not dropping no subs here. this is real talk.

Maybe this only makes sense to me but coaches and school officials know the requirements better than parents to pass clearinghouse since it has changed since when most of these parents were in school. This is not shedding responsibility away from parents but at the same time when we know a lot of these kids have long working or absentee parents(mentally) then we cant expect much assistance from them. Someone should be updating them every year on their progress to being able to clear it by graduation or sooner, barring the SAT test.Also nobody has answered how if you graduated and NYC only offers a regents diploma now, how is it possible that all these kids cant pass clearing house since you are suppose to be geared towards college requirements academically. Again barring the SAT scale factor, which if is the majority of the classes then prep school makes sense because they then have the credits and just need tutoring to increase their SAT score.

Prep school only allows you to take one post graduate course and as far as standardized testing goes, have you ever heard of people who can't pass the BAR exam out of law school? Same goes for kids who can't pass Regents of the SAT. I know I may sound drastically pessimistic but the stats don't lie and I would put this on par with IQ tests. The one thing that you can do is make sure kids get 90% averages through high school and they can minimize out of the SAT but even still, the core requirements increase almost every 5 years.

Prep school makes great sense but kids have to start out there to make it worth it. Prices for prep school are the same as college but there are no financial aid packages. Either you have the money or you get a scholarship or a loan. if you are not expected to go pro then good luck at getting scholarships from major prep schools. Some of these kids talking about going prep won't get better in 10 years let alone one.

Its time to embrace JUCO's and stop putting the kids down for not fitting into the top 1%tile when they don't qualify.

I am totally aware that you can, going forward, only take one class in prep which is why I stated passing regents in NYC, which is suppose to mean you have the necessary classes to enter into college. So if you go to prep school you are not making up classes just studying for the SAT. Most people who dont have learning disabilities are not bad at both math and english therefore there should be some increase in one that is enough to propel a student unless they did absolutely nothing in hs and just got 70's therefore requiring them to need an outrageous number on the SAT. The irony of this SAT matching GPA scale is that there is a reason a person has a 70 average which therefore means they are most likely not getting an extremely high SAT otherwise they would gotten an 80 something average by simply doing the homework, participating, coming to school and getting at least 70's on the test and quizzes. It doesnt take much effort to do that just some form of motivation and self-efficacy which is known to be lacking by those who created this ridiculous scale and wont change at a high percentage to study for the SAT. The scale is suppose to be measured the other way around so that kids in private schools are not just getting passed along with high grades because they are paying or in a watered down system where they are the big fish in a small pond and exposed once around other big fish considered to be academically superior to others. Beating a dead horse, students and parents need to be informed yearly where their child stands in order to clear clearinghouse. With a click of the mouse in excel, or even statistical software such as spss, calculations can be printed out to display this information in very simply or complicated terms. Press these guidance counselors to do some work and not focus so much on drama issues so to add interest to their boring life if too much to ask of coaches to do.lol

Every year I get a guy to come to the school from the NCAA to explain the new requirements. It is mandatory for each kid that is playing sports to register for the clearinghouse in the 10th grade. The course load is pre-made for them. So if you play a sport in my house, your classes are already picked and all you have to do is take and pass them. Rich Kosik does a seminar that is free and he will come to your school and talk to your kids. A simple call to the PSAL is all that takes and he covers a wide range of NCAA and school related topics. Russell Schuler does Smart Ball and there are so many other resources available.

Parents work and can't always be present. Some don't work and there is always something good on TV. The kids usually get it when it is too late or the damage is already done. I really hate when people BLAMEcoaches for anything because they have no idea that when you take a coaching job, the extra work and sacrifices that come with it. I know a lot of coaches that end up having grief at home from all that extra work they put in. My man Tim at Stepinac has the right idea. he bounced because he put family first and you can't do this and maintain a family. outsiders have no clue unless they have to do it.

This should have been your response 20 post ago because that is what I wanted people to know is happening, so that scale comes into question more than why are they 90 average students which would allow them to get lower SAT scores. The system is flawed since a lot of universities dont use it any more for admission of regular students.

Legend I am in the circle of most coaches and we share information daily and generally support each other with the times being lean the way they are. I never have to justify anything because players and coaches KNOW what I do, because they all do the same things. We all do our part and coaches that don't get shunned. There are still coaches out there and AD's that don't even have their schools registered in the clearinghouse. Imagine that? I can pick up the phone and ask any coach, AD or NCAA dude in this area for help and I always get it, and I always give it.

I'm here to educate people on what it really is. I have had kids qualify and have had a lot of kids who had to go the long route, but I am just as proud of my PAC 10 player who graduated from Utah in 2012 as my SUNY player from Old Westbury who graduated the same year. I have a kid from Brown University that quit the team to focus on Ivy League caliber work that gets out this year, and he's headed back there for free post graduate school. I have another kid who is 24 and just made the team at Bronx Community College and will play next season. At the end of the day, college is college unless the kid goes pro. I work with an English teacher who was a starting Line Backer for Ole Miss Class of 2008 and a Lawyer who graduated from NYU that is a Social Studies teacher who doesn't want to do Legal Aid anymore.

The Big picture is the most important. When the ball stops bouncing, you better have plan A which is your education.

Congrats and I get that 100% about the education being needed. My thing is the public needed to know exactly what is being done, and that are the proper measures to trying to help them succeed. Remember you have to deal with the public with kid gloves because most are uninformed, ignorant, or full of ish.

Great write up one the main page Mr Wingate. We are all responsible to some degree. Focusing on the same athletes over and over again is something that the accolades that the athlete achieves on the court has earned. ADULTS who continue to admire the children and emulate them is more of an instigation of the problem than noted. Using the "same" language and slang words as the children means the children are leading the adults. As we "mature' we should have a desire to grow and do better. I hear more coaches, parents, and "mentors"(i use that word loosely) using the new slang and sayings attempting to be cool. That is not leadership. Educating the next generation has to be done by people who care about education. Ive heard it all from coaches and parents alike regarding how their kid is going to play in college...Do the math, the player with all the write-ups and "chips" from all the local tournaments and pictures on social media most likely will not be the "man" in the business world when the ball stops bouncing...But hey, teaching players that AAU coaching/training is a career choice is the new direction that is being claimed anyway. Playing sports in college is not for everyone. I played football at the Div 1 level and we had 10-15 "all state" players quit every year. Teach our young players to enjoy the game...be respectful, kind and hard working. Learn how to smile at others and live a productive life. 98% OF US GOES PRO IN SOMETHING BESIDES SPORT.

This post was edited on 4/19 8:47 AM by fit2bking

How about the PSAL isn't allowing kids to sneak by or cheat for them anymore? That's one good thing. If you can't do high school work then you won't survive in college. Years ago, you can't tell me some of those dumb dumb's qualified that went to the NCAA on scholarships. This is an age where not many people are wiling to risk a pension for bad press or their pension.

come on people. the bottom line is if you don't qualify then take your act to a JUCO and get 2 years of training in the classroom and on the court, It is college and its accredited.

How has a community failed? This is ridiculous to suggest.

I come from the school of thought that says, we're all in this together. When the kids fail then we all fail. Since they are our future I just can't stand by and let it happen. I can't just say it is what it is and not strive for better. I believe I can always do more. We teach players to rise above and beyond what they thought they were capable of in order to win a game. I believe adults should practice what they preach and also do more than they are doing.

While I understand that if kids don't qualify you go JUCO etc. I'm more interested in figuring out and addressing why they don't or didn't qualify. I don't believe in teaching kids to plan for plan B. I'd prefer to teach them how to achieve plan A. Many of these kids have been dealt a bad hand so sometimes those of us who can lend an additional helping hand should.

I guess that's why I started doing the Real Talk Seminars and why I've sponsored kids financially. It's an uphill battle filled with disappointments but what battle isn't?

That's just my take on it.

This post was edited on 4/19 4:48 PM by mwingate

Editorial

Maurice I made it as plain as I could. The quality of parenthood out there sucks. These young women are out there deciding to have kids like it is as simple as buying a goldfish and that's the problem. When you see a young girl out there pregnant with no high school diploma, that's how it starts. Then, paretns are not reading to their kids or making them read, they are letting the TV and the video games raise them. Then you see these parents up at the school raising hell over confiscated electronic devices or baseball hats and not at open school night, that's how it continues. It ends when the kid is in high school and the paretns are raising hell with the coach about playing time instead of raising hell with the kid about his grades. We ARE all in this together, but the majority of the parents aren't doing their jobs at home. Are you afraid to say that?

I came into teaching from Child Welfare Association now called ACS. I went from the grease to the grill and if nobody gets it, there is nothing you can tell a kid when he doesn't have that value system from his parents. Yeah, yeah you can watch the Blind Side and They call Me Sir and the Alonzo Mourning Story all you want, but I'm dealing with reality and stats. WE as a community won't get anywhere until we become better quality and more educated parents with better planning about parenthood and more stable economic backgrounds and family structures.

I'm not as old school as you Wingate but just because you wore Rhinestone denim jackets, bell bottoms and Apple jack hats, that doesn't put you in the category of kids who walked 5 miles to school and another 5 back home to work in the fields either. These kids today are SPOILED and don't work as hard as they should or don't work at all! They have a sense of entitlement that is crippling them. There are too many adults picking up the torch that are enamored with them instead of having the guts to tell them, "NO! HELL NO! or YOU HAVE LOST YOUR DAMN MIND". Parents are being partners with their kids instead of guardians. Even kids who go home to empty fridges are picky. TRUST ME! I had a kid that said he isn't eating at home so I brought him $50 worth of groceries (my BBQ's money) and he said "I don't do the bootleg Frosted Flakes. I only do Tony the Tiger".

That Aside, big shout to the young men that are getting it done no matter what road they take. I don't believe in aspiring for option B, but for some kids option B is Miles from where they came from and people develop at different paces. Wingate I love you like a straight hit on the WIN4 but do you have stats on the kids who went to college at JUCOS, D3's or CUNY colleges for last year from the PSAL? Other than Justin Jenkins, what kids left food on the table? Who was supposed to go D1 that did not? The PSAL was light in the ass last year in talent. As adults, we could all do more, but after a while, you can remove the emotion from the job and say in my own words, "what makes success so valuable is the overwhelming amount of people who fail". There were less than 3 kids who may have missed out on D1 scholarships PSAL WIDE!. Match that with the over 100 kids that went to college laast season to play on the NCAA level. Where is the failure?

Anytime you need a place to have the Realtalk Forum, I will hold you down like the black women's feet hold down UGGS with a place, a space and a platform. Let me know bro!

This post was edited on 4/20 12:21 AM by psalguy

This post was edited on 4/20 12:26 AM by psalguy

This post was edited on 4/20 12:33 AM by psalguy

This post was edited on 4/20 12:38 AM by psalguy

since when. THO @ wingate ???? YA "REAL TALK " PANEL WASNT YOU CHARGING 300 BUCKS FOR ALL THIS INFO??? on how to qualfiy and all THE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW TO QUALIFY ??? and when was this FREE KNOLEDGE THING UP AT WADLEIGH i didnt see ANY POST ON HERE
ABOUT IT SO HOW WAS PARENTS SUPOOSE TO FIND OUT THAT YOU HAD SOMETHING GOING ON THAT WOULD HELP THE PARENTS AND STUDENTS THAT DONT KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO QUALIFY FOR D1 IN NCAA. LMAOOOOO at these dudes man ...@psal when are you gonna take any blame and stop wanting to ALWAYS BLAME PARENTS THAT WE ALL ALREADY KNOW DONT KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO QUALIFY THERE KID FOR NCAA SPORTS ????? THEY RELY AND IMMA SAY IT AGAIN THEY RELY ON THE COACHES!!!!! BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW AND WHEN YOU COME FROM THE STREETS LIKE MYSELF IT AINT HARD TO TELL WHEN A PARENT DOESNT KNOW BUT ALOT OF YOU SUCKA ASS COACHES RELY ON THAT ALSO YALL WILL HIT A PARENT THAT DONT KNOW WITH THE ..UMMM DONY WORRY HE IS GOING TO COLLEGE HE IS OK ...AND MAKE SURE HE UP AT 8AM BECAUSE WE HAVE A GAME ON MONDAY IN THE BX ...YOU DONT TELL THE PARENT YEA HE GOING TO COLLEGE BUT TO THE SAME COLLEGE THAT HIS FRIEND HE AINT SEEN IN 8 YEARS THAT JUST CAME HOME FROM ATTICA CAN ATTEND ALSO MEDGER EVANS ..BROOKLYN COLLEGE ETC ETC ..I SEE YOU DUDES LOVE TO TAKE CREDIT FOR WHEN A KID GIES TO A JUCO AND THEN QUALIFYS AND GET A D1 OFFER HERE YALL COME WITH THE Congrats to My guy such and such. who just commited to MISS STATE and then when a ARGUMENT COMES UP THEY WANNA SAY THEY SENT CERTAIN AMOUNT OF PLAYER TO D1 when he left ya PROGRAM HE WASNT QUALIFIED. BUT YA DONT TAKE CREDIT FOR THAT HUH LMAOOOOO if anything WE SHOULD GIVE THE CREDIT TO THE DAM COACH who HAD HIM FOR 1 YEAR AT JUCO AND NOW THE KID IS. READY TO MOVE ON TO NEXT LEVEL ...WHEM YOU HAD HIM FOR FOUR AND STILL COULDNT GET HIM TO QUALIFY ...MANNNNNN LISTEN .........example WHO GETS THE CREDIT FOR BIG ED THAT WENT TO JEFFERSON AND HAD A OFFER FROM MANHATTAN BUT COULDNT GO CAUSE HE DIDNT QUALFIY ..BUT 2 YEARS LATER HE IS QUALIFIED TO PLAY AT OAKLAHOMA!!!! SIGNED SEALED AND WILL BE DELIVERED ....MAN STOP IT 5!!!! WHY are the kids RIGHT THERE IN MT VERNON IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSYTEM QUALIFYING WIT NO PROBLEM BUT KIDS DOWN HERE IN CITY CANT???? HOW MANY KIDS ARE GOING STRAIGHT D1 FROM WADLEIGH ??? BOYS AND GIRLS ?? LINCOLN??? SOUTH SHORE. WINGS??? Cardozo???? aint not NONE OF YALL DOING WHAT BOB DOING UP AT MT VERNON but yall all WALK AROUND WITCHA CHEST ALL POKED. OUT!!! .....and its just LIKE I SAID ON ANOTHER SITE THE CHSSA KIDS QUALIFY BECAUSE THEY CHARGING DAM NEAR 10,000
PER STUDENT TO ATTEND ....THEM KIDS BETTER QUALIFY OR ALLL HELL WOULD BREAK LOOSE when YOU HAVE EXTRA FUNDS TO PAY TUTORSS TO GO 1 ON 1 WITH A KID IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE and also ITS GOOD BUISNESSS!!! FOR THAT SCHOOL ......But i cant knock them to much BECAUSE THEY DOING WHAT THEY GOTTA DO TO PROMOTE THERE BUISNESSS AND. THATS GETTING KIDS TO QUALFIY FOR COLLEGE THE END RESULT IS A ++++ .....Nobody says NOTHING ABOUT THE COACHES WHO TAKE ADAVNTAGE OF SINGLE PARENTS WHO DONT KNOW WHO HAVE A SON WHO CAN PLAY BALL ......#DatsAhFact

And i already know what dudes gonna say YOU SHOULD REVEAL YASELF IF U GONNA TALK LIKE This WELL MY NAME IS BOLO IMMA SHORT DARKSKIN CHUBBY DUDE THAT BE AT ALOT OF HIGHSCHOOL GAMES KEEP THE POKER ON ME AT ALLLLLLLL TIMESS ...I BEAT THE METAL DETECTORS ON THE ISLAND UPNORTH ALSO!!! SO I DAM SURE WILL BEAT THEM AND A PUNK ASS HIHH SCHOOL GAME!!! GET AT ME IF NIKKAS DONT LIKE WHAT IM SAYING!!!!!!!

BOLO!!!!!! RealTalk

You know what dude, I 100% believe you when you say you carry the poker. I also 100% believe you that you go to high school games and mean mug in the audience. You know what I else I believe? That you are living proof that the 6:00 and 11:00 O'Clock News isn't going anywhere no time soon LOL!

The original crisis this forum addressed was NYC PSAL kids aren't qualifying for the NCAA at a higher rate. I am the person who blames parents for 90% of ALL problems youth face because kids did not ask to be here. My platform is personal responsibility and standing up for our kids and their future, or showing some responsibility and not having kids until you can raise, financially provide for and guide them to adulthood. That said, this horse has been beaten to death too many times.

As for that forum at Wadleigh in the fall of 2012, it was 100% FREE. It was posted and announced on the Funsport Radio Show Ricky Rivers does and well advertised to school based coaches and the basketball community weeks in advance. If you did not know about it, then you may not be around the real basketball community that is trying to keep it positive for kids. You may be around dudes that have that negative energy, you know like dudes that smuggle weapons into high school games or state and city correctional facilities LOL? (What part of the game is that?) I know people like that and keep it hi and bye with them because I am a grown man and a parent now. The 80's and 90's are in the rear view mirror for me, and I pity and pray for anybody who is still caught up in that life.

Real talk, if you work at a public school and you coach a sport in the areas where the kids and families are economically depressed, then you have an uphill battle. I am not a coach who exploits anybody. I detailed what I do to make sure kids have a shot to qualify and support them through the process. Nothing personal with me dude but I'm part of the front line that is trying to make sure the kids do qualify. Here is a real stat for a PSAL coach; If you coach for 10 years that means you have coached between 130-150 kids that you have had under your supervision. If you get to see 5 kids that are good enough to get a D1 scholarship consider yourself a blessed man. If you say out of those 130-150 kids that 50 go on to graduate from college and played SUNY or D3 ball, you feel even better. If you say 80 of the kids you coach, move on to get their high school dilomas, go into the armed forces, work for the City, UPS, Fed Ex, Fresh Direct or Transit and become head of households, then you are happy for them and they make you proud. Do you know the kid that makes you lose sleep at night and feel like you failed? The kids that grow up to pack steel and shivies at high school games and that is less than 1% of the kids you deal with.

"YA "REAL TALK " PANEL WASNT YOU CHARGING 300 BUCKS FOR ALL THIS INFO???
on how to qualfiy and all THE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW TO QUALIFY ???
and when was this FREE KNOLEDGE THING UP AT WADLEIGH i didnt see ANY
POST ON HERE
ABOUT IT SO HOW WAS PARENTS SUPOOSE TO FIND OUT THAT
YOU HAD SOMETHING GOING ON THAT WOULD HELP THE PARENTS AND STUDENTS THAT
DONT KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO QUALIFY FOR D1 IN NCAA. LMAOOOOO at these
dudes man"

Dahoodrecruiter,

We didn't charge $300. Not even close. It was more like $25. We also allowed the student in free when they came with a parent. We advertised on the from page of this website and sent out multiple emails and handed out flyers to all PSAL and CHSAA coaches so everybody except you knew it was going on and where. I have no idea where you got your info from but was so wrong that its scary.

I've attached a link with the non-ficticious information.

Real Talk Website

Wingate I didn't see any money transfer hands at all. Where my cut?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT