ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be High School basketball next season?

mwingate

NYCHoops Publisher
Sep 11, 2007
With COVID-19 running rampant throughout the US and politicians just making it worse. Also considering that the Ivy League has all but cancelled its entire year of sports, do you think there'll be a high school basketball season for 2020-22? Why or why not.

VOTE on it:

Last edited:
To be honest, with pro and college basketball, there's a lot of money on the line. The TV revenue and butts in seats are eye popping. Not so much, if at all in high school basketball so there's no incentive to go the extra mile and make it happen. While I'd love to be proven wrong, the 2020-21 season is looking bleak. I will say that NY state has the lowest rate of infection in the country so if it were to happen, this is the place

There are safe ways to do it. If PSAL would listen to me this is what I would propose.
1. All league games should only be played at schools nearby each other. None of this traveling all over the city cross conference games.
2. No fans
3. Coaches and Refs need to wear masks at all times.
4. Players on benches are spaced out and wearing masks while on the bench
5. After a player is subbed in and out they have to sanitize their hands.
6. The balls are wiped down after the layup line and each stoppage of the game.
7. Temperature is taken of every person player, Coach, and ref before the walk into the the school.

There are safe ways to do it. If PSAL would listen to me this is what I would propose.
1. All league games should only be played at schools nearby each other. None of this traveling all over the city cross conference games.
2. No fans
3. Coaches and Refs need to wear masks at all times.
4. Players on benches are spaced out and wearing masks while on the bench
5. After a player is subbed in and out they have to sanitize their hands.
6. The balls are wiped down after the layup line and each stoppage of the game.
7. Temperature is taken of every person player, Coach, and ref before the walk into the the school.

How do you propose to deal with asymptomatic players, coaches, staff, etc.? At least the NBA is requiring players to live in a bubble. PSAL and CHSAA can't do that.

I would think that each player would be required to to get tested as part of the Physical. I also believe all staff will be required to be tested prior to the school year. But nothing is a 100%. But I think my measures I suggested earlier would greatly reduce the risk.

I think your ideas might reduce risk but when playing with people's lives reducing might not cut it. Unfortunately, a person can test negative on Monday and become positive on Wednesday. Tough choices no matter what people do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT