ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler "Smooth" Harris

AZ PREPS

May 29, 2001
By Jeff Borzello
TurtleSportsReport.com
Posted Apr 19, 2010

| More

TSR contributor Jeff Borzello caught up with hoops prospect Tyler Harris recently.

HAMPTON, Va. - The Harris family let down Maryland fans back in November when five-star forward Tobias Harris chose Tennessee over the Terrapins.
However, there is a chance they will make up for it with reclassified 2012 prospect Tyler Harris, Tobias' younger brother.

According to their father, Torrel Harris, there is a mutual interest between the family and Maryland.

“We love Maryland,” Harris said at the Elite Youth Basketball League at the Boo Williams Sportsplex in Hampton, Va. on Saturday. “Out of the schools it came down to, if Tobias didn't pick Tennessee, he was going to go to Maryland. Tobias liked Maryland. The only issue was that he didn't want to be in a city.”

The same doesn't hold true for younger brother Tyler, who played with Tobias at Half Hollow Hills East High School (N.Y.) this past season. He runs with the Albany City Rocks on the AAU circuit.

Harris currently holds offers from Connecticut, Duquesne, Seton Hall, Wisconsin and Tennessee, with interest from Georgia Tech, St. John's, Rutgers, George Mason and Maryland. His father added that many schools are looking at him for his potential and ability down the road.

“He loves Maryland,” Torrel said of Tyler. “There's the academics and he loves coach [Gary] Williams. The thing is, he was with Tobias on the official visit, so he had a chance to see everything. He liked the campus, and all the assistant coaches are down to Earth.”

The father said that he is most impressed with coach Williams.

“I like coach Williams because he didn't come with any BS,” Torrel Harris said. “Everybody else puts up a fake facade, but not him. It's like, 'A lot of people don't like me, but this is who I am,' and you've got to respect that.”

Torrel also mentioned that he feels comfortable discussing things with Williams, and he knows that the coach will be completely honest with him.

“Coach is pretty cool, I like him,” Torrel said. “And he's a helluva coach. He's got no All-Americans and he almost, he lost [on a buzzer shot] to a team that made the Final Four.”

Tyler Harris is a completely different player than his older brother. Whereas Tobias lost a ton of weight to reach his true potential, Harris is going to need to add strength and weight in order to make an impact at the next level.

His father said that the main difference between the two is their eating habits.

“Tobias ate well, and he was always doing his push-ups and sit-ups,” said Torrel, who is not afraid to admit that his son needs to improve his build and get stronger. “You know what Tyler eats for dinner? Cookies and milk. So he needs to eat better and get nutrition in him.”

Right now, Harris is a 6-foot-8 swingman who can shoot the lights out from three-point range. However, he is expected to continue growing - he presently has size 17.5 shoes - with a peak height of 6-foot-11 or 7-feet. With his perimeter game getting better and better, Harris could potentially be a match-up nightmare for opponents because of his size and shooting ability.

“He should pick up where Tobias left off,” Torrel said.

That could be a good thing for Maryland fans, in more ways than one.

wtf Concerned Parent. What is the problem with the post? It pertains to bball,unlike most of your post which only contain criticism of the Harris family. You only post when something comes up Harris bros related.
This post was edited on 4/20 3:37 PM by s.martinup

I believe you mean pertains. And I think you are the one who responds or should I say comes running to the rescue of the Harris posts more than anyone. If my posts go over your head then I am sorry, I was referring to a post on the ny board.

Typo corrected. If you check my posts I post on more basketball related subjects, while your subjects specifically target one family in a disparaging manner. After a while it gets old. Would it be too much to ask for you to discuss basketball since...you know, this is a basketball forum? If you dont know anything about basketball let me suggest reading Eric Walters he has written a fantastic series of books on basketball that will suit you perfectly.

series of books on basketball that will suit you p

You are too funny for me Mr. Smartinup
laugh.gif

I love that song "He we go again" who wrote that song? Today Tyler received an offer from North Carolina State. 6ft 8 Tyler "Smooth" Harris- 2012, had a great workout at Half Hollow Hills West in front many top div 1 coaches.

On the last day of evaluation period the coaches from North Carolina State came and visited with Tyler. The coaches came away very impressed on how much he has improved from last summer. They all say he is a very skilled player that can really shoot and handle the ball for his size. His upside is tremendous.
This post was edited on 4/21 3:54 PM by AZ PREPS

Don't put your gun up Palidin from San Francisco...Here we go again is absolutely right. One more year and counting for the Harris propoganda.

The kid Tyler is a little beter than people gave him credit for being. He is not Tito Jackson or Charlie Murphy. He will have his own legacy.

PSALGUY

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT