ADVERTISEMENT

Tobias Harris & Bria Hartley

AZ PREPS

May 29, 2001
Harris, Hartley to play in McDonald's All-American games
February 11, 2010 By ADAM RONIS adam.ronis@newsday.com

QUICK SUMMARY
Half Hollow Hills West forward Tobias Harris and North Babylon guard Bria Hartley were selected for the McDonald's All-American High School games.

Photo credit: Photo by John Dunn | Hills West's Tobias Harris (12) drives around Bellport's Antoine Roundtree (25).
galleries

Bria Hartley

Half Hollow Hills West star Tobias Harris

High school sports -- February
Half Hollow Hills West forward Tobias Harris and North Babylon guard Bria Hartley were selected Thursday for the McDonald's All-American High School games.

Harris, a 6-8 senior, is the 12th boys basketball player from Long Island to be selected. Hartley, a 5-10 senior, is the third Long Island girls basketball player to be picked.

"It was real cool to see my name being announced on TV," the Tennessee-bound Harris said. "It's real exciting and a real honor to be a McDonald's All-American. It was one of my main goals when I first started playing basketball. Now it's a dream come true."

"I'm happy about it," the UConn-bound Hartley said. "I've always wanted to be picked for this game.''

Danielle Wilson (St. John the Baptist, 2006) and Sammy Prahalis (Commack, 2008) are the other girls from Long Island high schools to be selected. "Danielle and Sammy are great players,'' Hartley said. "It's good to follow in their footsteps.''

Harris is averaging 25 points, 14 rebounds, four assists and three blocked shots. He has 1,909 career points and hopes to become the 12th Long Island boys basketball player to reach 2,000.

"It's a wonderful honor for him because he's put in so much work for the last five years," Hills West coach Bill Mitaritonna said. "He deserves it. He's not only a quality player but a quality person, too. For Long Island basketball, it's an amazing accomplishment and I hope people realize how special he is. For me to be able to coach one of the best 24 high school players in the country is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I'm extremely excited about it."

Hartley is averaging 27 points, eight rebounds, six steals and four assists and has 1,824 career points. She was one of 20 players in the country selected to the Nike WBCA All-Star Game.

"We're fortunate to coach her," North Babylon coach Mike Petre said. "She's made our team better every year. She's set the standard for the younger kids. She's someone to emulate on and off the court.''

This will be the 33rd annual boys game and the ninth annual girls game. The games will be played March 31 at the Value City Center in Columbus, Ohio. The girls game begins at 5:30 p.m. on ESPNU, followed by the boys game at 8 p.m. on ESPN.

With Bob Herzog

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT