ADVERTISEMENT

Long Island is shot to hell

TopDawg7

Gold Member
Oct 8, 2007
With all the re-distribution of school divions, departure of coaches, and the migration of talent off the island makes L.I. nothing more than a glorified C.Y.O. league. That coupled with all the in-fighting, cliches and political mudslinging will leave nassau and suffolk county as a baron waistland as far as boys basketball is concerned

Long Island has produced a bumper crop of D1 players this year(although some had to prep ) Odom, JJ Moore,Tobias Harris, Matt Milk,Josh Elbuam, John Brown, Phil Izevbehai,Dominique Spann,John Nielson,and Melshn Basabe are just a few names in the 2010 class.
Too bad all of these players with the exception of Tobias had to take their games off of LI to get noticed.
This post was edited on 10/19 12:11 PM by s.martinup

I have to agree with TopDawg on this subject. Long Island basketball will always remain the same until there is a coalition between High School coaches and AAU coaches. Most AAU programs have helped develop high school programs through-out Long Island and yet get ridiculed on what they do. For ex. take a look at the Top 40 this year, 95% of the players have been playing AAU basketball for someone. High school coaches need to embrace the AAU coaches and except the fact that there high school is competitive each and every year because of AAU. I never really posted anything on this site, I just read but enough is enough especially when it comes to this game of basketball. If you are really passionate about this sport high school coaches, then you need to get on board and help in the development of your kids and program. I will take the best 12 on Long Island anyday and compete against who ever.

I beg to differ most LI AAU programs do not do a good job at developing their players ....and cost waayy too much money.

Not to mention that many of the AAU programs have agendas and try tp push kids to specific schools. I realize it is done everywhere, but if AAU coaches want to be embraced by high school coaches then do these things well:
1. Stop trying to push kids to specific schools (do not recruit for other h.s)
2. Do a better job of developing players instead of trying to stack a team with talent to win some tournament.
3. Finally, continue to preach the importance of academics.

If a coach has to worry that one of his players will be advised by their AAU coach to transfer to another school.. then yes the H.S. coaches will never embrace AAU

Yeah ..and?
chairshot.gif

I dont believe that LI boys basketball is shot to hell. I think that it just needs a shot in the arm from coaches. High School coaches need to work yr round to improve their teams and theirselves. I believe that LI best five will always compete with the city's best 5.

I agree. Tobias Harris...John Ward-Adams...Goey Charles...Leon Taylor...Chavaughn Lewis...Alt Tyler Harris...oh Tevon Slege

"not shot just getting more and more less competitive with the boro schools"

a/k/a shot to hell

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT