ADVERTISEMENT

George Beamon

doug5980

May 6, 2004
Anybody know about which schools are interested? Read he liked Syracuse and W Virgina but clearly thats not happening. Does anybody know what is realistic? Thanks

He's an "undersized" shooting guard. That's his problem. If he would learn to pass and play more of a combo role, doors would open for a talented player like himself

Agreed TopDawg. Scoring 30 a game in a terrible conference in Nassau is not going to get you big time looks. The kid is a gifted ballhandler and slasher for sure, but doesn't consistently shoot the ball well. As you said, he could benefit from becoming more of a combo type guard. I will be interested to see where he ends up.

Agreed on him needing to improve his point guard skills. He's been a monster rebounder this season, but even as a 6'2 guard he's following up shots because his team (and most of his comp) doesnt have much height. He's a very gifted scorer nonetheless, and i know for a fact that Buffalo, St. John’s, Fordham, Hofstra, Central Florida, Florida Gulf Coast, Liberty, Norfolk State and CW Post have all been in the picture at some point. He will get a shot somewhere, at least D2.

George is doing what ever he has to do for his team to win games. He a good player in a bad conference don't blame the kid because he good scorer.

Decide what? The kid has no offers.
I hope that he does get some ,but as of right now he has 0 offers.

That's why its very important to play on a strong AAU program with other Divsion1 prospects.

He did play some aau but not recently but aau doesnt mean much at all. And its getting less and less important. Find a good person to work with you and who knows some people who has your best interests in mind with no money attachments. The Beamon situation had more to do with academics and behavior then talent. There is a reason he had to go to Roslyn. He is very talented and will end up somewhere for sure in my opinion.

I disagree with you regarding AAU is getting less and less importants how can you say that when over 100 div 1 coaches are watching games.
This post was edited on 3/1 7:52 AM by AZ PREPS

You better go back and check that again.
AAU is getting stronger and stronger each year.
They are the ones the NCAA trust the most with the kids.
You will see more Coaches in Orlando than any place else.

that's just a naive comment.

of course you will see more coaches in orlando than any place else... 'cause coaches can see a ton of kids at once. it's a matter of convenience, nothing more.

it's the coaches who are instrumental in eliminating the open periods the past few years. if they liked it so much, why would they be doing that?

it's a neccesary evil that the college recruiters need to be involved in... but anyone who believes it's what they prefer has been drinking too much kool aid. beamon played aau, he's done well at is8... he still has no offers, largely because nobody cares if you put up 40 a game against weak high school competition. they want to see what you can do against good teams that have been actually coached.
This post was edited on 4/27 9:30 AM by LIHoopsfan

George played aau ball but not with a program that has the clout or players to draw in college scouts. Had he done that, he would know what college he would be attending in September. As to the relevance of aau basketball, it will never, ever fall second to high school basketball. AAU gives kids opportunities to showcase their skills in settings that offer a wide range of opportunity. Also, the season is long enough to afford a kid a chance to switch programs, if it’s deemed a bad fit. In contrast, kids are often times stuck at a high school regardless of the fit. Let's face it, there are many high school coaches that have done a good job of ruining a players basketball career. They tend to overestimate their importance and in some cases act as though they're the chosen ones. What they need to understand is that players give them credibility, not the other way around. If they don't have star players, they are irrelevant, period. In a way I understand what frustrates them, the lack of being involved in the decisions of players they barely know. The easy thing for them to do is bash the aau coaches who they quickly contact when the need players. Think of how screwed up things would be if left solely in the hands of a high school coach.

I'm sorry raised in Queens but live on LI. Basketball in LI is very,very weak.LI Lighting org. very overrated, tell me how many kids on LI have big time D1 offers. I find that kids on LI or soft and not as committed as kids in the city. I've watched some of the so-called big time players and schools and came away unimpressed. Chaminade has a very nice why don't they organized a tournament featuring the very best HS on the LI against the top teams in the city. LI basketball will always lack if they don't play NYC HS and do very well.

As for Beamon very athletic kid can jump out the gym. The reason he doesn't have any offers.1. Plays for very weak LI Lighting team 2. Not a very skilled player. Doesn't handle the ball well. 3. Jump shot is suspect. If you want to get better you have to play against and with top players you don't get better playing against players you can always dominate. Ask any kid, coach or follower of HS basketball in NYC and not many would know who George Beamon is. I'm not bashing the kid but you can find a George Beamon in any park in the city.

This year LI bball is weak but 2010 looks good. With Tobias Harris multiple high offers, JJ Moore comes out of the box to rank in the top 150 offers from Lville, Rod Odom has over 20 D1 offers from major conferences, Pac 10 ,ACC, Big East SEC... J Elbuam will get some A-10 offers,Kamil,Flash Boggs,Fishenden, Sergio all have D1 talent out of the class of 2010 there are more.

full ride manhattan good luck george....i enjoyed watching roslyn in playoffs.

sorry lifefan 35 your sources are dead wrong Beamon doesn't have a full ride at Manhattan. I think you better get better resources. check manhattan website. nothing has been promised to him. george needs to find a prep school and trainer and work very hard over the summer to make himself an complete player. i give props where props are due. you guys in LI overhyped Beamon like i said he needs to surround himself with people who are very knowledgable about the game. i seen him play at is8 on a very weak LI lighting team and he struggled against the opposition. you want to be big time play against or with big time players.

From Manhattan College Website:

Jaspers Sign Three to National Letters of Intent for 2009-10 Season
Release: 05/26/2009

RIVERDALE, N.Y. ? Manhattan men’s basketball Coach Barry Rohrssen has announced the signing of three student-athletes to National Letters of Intent during the spring signing period. Rico Pickett, George Beamon and Kevin Laue will join the Jaspers’ roster next season.

Pickett, a 6-4 guard from Decatur, Ala., transfers to Manhattan from Miami-Dade Community College where he averaged 17.3 points and nearly five assists per game as he helped the Sharks to a 26-2 record and 2008-09 Southern Conference Championship. Pickett was named First Team All-Conference at Miami-Dade last season and helped elevate the program to a #3 national ranking. Pickett played his freshman season at Alabama where he started 20 of 29 appearances for the Crimson Tide. He averaged 5.9 points and 3.3 assists in Tuscaloosa.

Beamon, a 6-4 guard from Roslyn High School in Long Island, averaged 34 points per game and helped lead the Bulldogs to the Nassau County Class A Championship. During his senior campaign, Beamon scored 40 or more points in a game eight times, which included a Roslyn record 56 points versus Calhoun High School on January 8. Beamon scored 786 points in 2008-09, the second highest single season scoring output in Nassau County history behind Cleveland Cavaliers guard/forward Wally Szczerbiak who scored 805. Beamon averaged 30.5 points and 10 rebounds as a junior.

Laue, a 6-11 center from California, averaged about 10 points and five rebounds as a postgraduate at Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia. Prior to Fork Union, Laue averaged about 23 minutes, four points, five blocks and six rebounds during his junior year at Amador Valley High School in Pleasanton, Calif. He suffered a season ending injury as a senior. Due to a complication at birth, Laue’s left arm stops one inch below his elbow.

boy you guys have alot to learn just sit back and watch what develops with Beamon. the bottom line is are you going to play or will you get redshirted. boy you guys don't understand the polictics i've been around the game for a longtime. you will see what develops. every kid doesn't get a full ride and at the D1 level it is all about production. scholarships are based on a year to year basis. why do you think so many players leave schools and go to schools that fit them. i don't care where you go real ballers want to play. i will not name players but i've been around more skilled players that went to top D1's left them and went to mid-majors and D2 & D3 schools because the fit wasn't right. the bottom line at the D1 level is what have you done for me lately. take that free education and do something positive with it. if you love the game you can make alot of money behind the secenes. don't get caught up in the proproganda.

Well at least we have you to enlighten us. Since we now have you Elijah10 you can teach us all we need to know about the politics of BBall. The only thing you have done so far is tell us that Beamon did not get a schollie but he clearly has a schollie from Manhattan....unless of course Mahattan College lying to us on their web site. thanks In advance for your enlightening us ignorant souls on the virtues of the BBall world.

George and I are very close friends. He's a talented boy. And he decided to go Manhattan on a full ride. I wish him the best of luck! I know he'll do well!

Like I said before guys watch what happens to Beamon. Beamon should've went to prep school or juco. He's wasting a year at manhattan college. Why do you think some of the better players in the class of 2010 left and went to prep schools. The reason why Mr. Harris is still on LI because of how he was marketed and exposed. I say again LI BASKETBALL IS WEAK glorified CYO. Thank You very much

Boy you L.I. guys are jokes lets see how much run he gets. I've asked some of my connects in NYC about Beamon nobody new who or where this kid came from. Beamon got a hookup. if guys like Sean Johnson from CK and Keith Spellman from Jeff didn't get looks from Manhattan there seems to be a problem. BOth players are far more skilled and battle tested. just like i said before you guys on the island get caught up in names lets see how mush Beamon plays.

For a somebody that nobodies heard of 3300+ reads is pretty impressive.

TopDawg7 I know you are born and raised in LI. Last checked Beamon played 6minutes 2 points against Kean University a D3 school. Once again if he was so good why wasn't on Dana Dingle's AAU L.I. Lighting Traveling Team. Last I checked Dingle's team is full of NYC players. The famous words of ED Lover C'mon son NYC all day.

I could care less about George Beamon. I was merely observing how many people have read this thread.

I can care how weak your competition is, if you score anywhere like he does at that high rate he deserves his d1 free ride and playing time his freshman yr.

Subject: December 9th
Date: 11/13/2009 12:21:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

On December 9th at 7:00 the Manhattan jaspers led by George beamon will be
invading the campus of the hofstra pride. I know all of you are So busy but
it would be fun to see George playing college division 1 ball/ to get
tickets call 516-hof-tixx or online at gohofstra.com.see you there. Rich

Your boy Beamon barely plays.Prep school looks better everyday. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a little fish in a big pond. Once again Long Island basketball is CYO. If L.I. players don't play in the city and do well they will always be weak in my eyes. By years end you will hear about Beamon transfering from Manhattan wasn't a good fit for this kid. I have nothing personal against the kid but guys on LI made him sound like was the second coming of Dr.J.

time will tell wether or not it was a good decsion for beamon. if he's playing by the time he's a junior or senior, can you really say it was a bad move? personaly i never thought he was a D1 player, but not playing his freshman year is hardly reason to call him a bust. it's a long road ahead...

besides, if he's able to get a good education and he's happy by being close to home, who are we to say it was a bad decision?

6 minutes? That's plenty of time for Steamin' Beamon to get off at least 52 shots. lol

I use to think his first name was Chuck.

Boy u guys on L.I. sure r quiet now. i told ur boy beamon wasn't going to get much playing time at manhattan. he needs to transfer now u need to checkout the players manhattan r after for next year. did u take a look at their record. he is not a d1 player L.I. basketball is weeeeeeeeeeaak!!!!!!!!!!. how many L.I. teams played at the sny tournament 1 lutheran and got blasted the first game played better the second game. please don't tell me about L.I. kids that left L.I. to play else where they knew if they wanted some looks they needed to leave weak L.I. to get taken serious. just checkout kadeem jack from L.I. but plays for Rice enough said. L.I. basketball SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post was edited on 2/20 11:47 PM by elijah10

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT