ADVERTISEMENT

BIG-UPS to LUHI

TopDawg7

Gold Member
Oct 8, 2007
Luhi did their thing. They beat J-D emphatically and deserve to be number one in Long Island. The one-two-three punch of Harris, KJ and Ashcraf works well.

Top four teams in NYS, in no particular order are...Lincon, Rice, Luhi and James-D. To think otherwise is to put emotions and politics ahead of basketball intellect. Congrads to those schools and players for the season they had.

Why not Christ the King over Lincoln? They played Rice a heck of a lot tougher than Lincoln did.

In my opinion, CK is over-rated. Sure they won a fair amount of games but they are not better than the teams I listed. They run and gun. Put them in a half court game and its a wrap. Trust me, CK is a program that is ill prepared to win the correct way. A good program wins while teaching its players to play the game the way it should be played. Not "go out and out score them guys".

First of all, I have to disagree with your assessment of CTK. However, you are entitled to that opinion. But what gets me the most is that you insinuate Lincoln is teaching more fundamentals than CTK. You can't be serious. I've watched Lincoln play about 4 or 5 times this year and never saw any resemblance of a solid half court defense. At the Federation against Rice, they tried to double team the dribbler at half court probably 10 straight times. Rice just skipped the ball over the top for wide open 3's and layups. Lincoln, to me, is the epitome of "go out and out score them guys".

I agree with his assessment of CK, I was at their game against LuHi and the game was tied in the first half. Then second half came around and they just scored so much in transition. It was a very quick and athletic team that drove hard to the basket. Judging on how LuHi played them in the first half they should be able to put up a good fight maybe even win the game with a full squad. (game was played without Tobias and K.J. was still out too I think).

So let me get this straight...running up and down the court and scoring in transition is non-fundamental basketball? I guess North Carolina players aren't being taught proper basketball. Give me a break.

First of all, if Carolina has an opportunity to run, they will. However, every basketball mind knows that they can destroy you in the half court game. They will post Tyler and work the ball inside out or side to side. Which usually results in the defence being out of position to defend. You will never see CK move the ball in such fashion. That ball goes inside, the post player is shooting, no matter how many defenders are present or who is open on the opposite side. Ball movement on the perimeter means one, tops two passes and fire away. I know its hard to accept but the proper way to play, is not being taught at CK, bottom line. In terms of basketball, a program is judged on how their players as a whole, perform on the next level. Case closed. Sure they can point to a few succeses but the reality is,thousands of players have passed through CK. Looking at it along those lines, their success rate is well below one percent.
This post was edited on 4/2 9:47 AM by nyskyriders

Tobias celebrated when he won the New York State Federation Championship a goal that he set for himself last summer. Here a story how he celebrated afther winning the Championship, this is from Newsday:

Highlights: Harris, who missed a month earlier in the season with an ankle injury, capped off his first season at Lutheran with 27 points, 15 rebounds, three blocks and two steals in the Crusaders' 68-51 victory over Jamesville-DeWitt (Section III) in the state Federation final. LuHi ended the season with 13 straight victories after Harris' return.

Career: Harris transferred to LuHi from Half Hollow Hills West after last season. As a sophomore, Harris averaged 29 points and nine rebounds for the Colts, leading them to a Suffolk Class AA title. He left Hills West as the Colts' all-time leading scorer, with 1,186 points in three seasons.

Future: Harris has been in contact with numerous Division I schools, mostly from the ACC and the Big East. His goal is to play in the NBA.

On winning the state title: "It felt great. We came out on fire in the game, it was just a great feeling."

On being unable to play: "Just walking around in a cast watching your teammates knowing you could help them, it was terrible."

On making it back on the court: "It felt good, the first couple of games it was kind of rough. But as it came on the team gained more chemistry and it came back."

On playing with his brother : "It's good, we look out for each other on the court."

On the trip home from the Federation: "The trip was great. To be able to talk and be happy on the bus ride back was awesome."

Favorites

Movie: "Hoop Dreams"

TV Show: "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"

Taking these kids away from a good school, good education and a nationally competitive team next year in bball is pretty weird. Sometimes your not gonna like a coach, could of been a learning experience instead it is sheltering.

I think the coach has been talked about negatively enough on these boards. Although I am certaintly not a fan of his and would never send anyone to associate with him this should be about the kids. Luhi had a good season, maybe not great but in the end they did what they needed to. Tobias is a great player and was obviously the difference maker, he will do great wherever he goes and being happy where he plays and being happy who he plays for should be something every kid should hope for. I hope we can all agree on that.

Its really a shame that Tobias and Tyler are leaving, they were great kids to have around on campus. Regardless of their lack of ping pong abilities they were very fun to be around. Good kids, they will definitely be missed. It is a weird choice to pull them out considering they both had good seasons and brought home a state championship. I'm not sure where they're gonna be next week/year, but if its Hills West idk about that choice. Sure they'll see the floor more and score more points but what is the point of that at this point? They're both being looked at by major programs so the added points won't help with exposure and it'll definitely hurt their college career by playing weaker teams. LuHi is a better team to play for if the kids want to play against a higher level of competition to prepare for playing in college. I don't get it, I can understand disliking a coach but he definitely did something right trouncing both teams in the Federation.

No offense but Tobias was WHY they won, look at what happened when he didnt play. He was why they look organized. There are so many things wrong with that coach from coaching to outside coaching you can probably start a whole new thread. Luhi had them for the year and hopefully next year they will be happier. Tobias will be good wherever he goes. It doesnt have to be said but leaving Luhi after such a good year certaintly says something about other things. I still think Luhi will have a lot of talent next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT