ADVERTISEMENT

Abuse or Coaching?

psalguy

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2008
I hate the idea that somewhere, everywhere and every minute of everyday that there is some kid, parent, rat or opportunist with his or her phone out taking footage of some unsuspecting person doing what they do. They then post it somewhere and it goes viral. Jobs get lost, people lose their reputations, lives get effected and then the person who posts the footage is some cult hero in a new society of lowest common denominator character cowards.

I just saw the footage of Coach Rice at Rutgers and the events that led to his 3 game suspension and his $50,000.00 fine. It reminded me of a few things. The first thing is that kids are always kids when someone says, "I wouldn't do that to a kid so you shouldn't either". The second thing is that like it or not, there is always somebody watching and these electronic devices have taken over. You have to live your life in no matter what you do that you could end up on the internet and that people who view footage won't see what occurs before or after that feed that goes viral. They won't be privileged to the "inner scoop", just your actions. The 3rd thing is, we have become a society of cream puffs that are enabling too many people and and have been handcuffed by political correctness.

As coaches, all of us are complaining about the same thing. Kids with low fortitude for hard work and toughness. Parents who put pressure on coaches to make their kid into Michael Jordan when the kid is Michael Jackson. Outside coaches who put the pressure on the school coaches because of the unlimited "options" out there. Kids who spend more time on facebook than in the gym. All of this led to New York being in the toliet and it will not get any better.

I feel bad for coach Rice who I got a chance to meet along with Andy Toole (Robert Morris). Two coaches that were honest about the state of the game and what needed to be done with today's kids and today's adults. Two coaches who have spectacular victories and track records of improving players and have great player relationships. Can you imagine if I-phones were out when Bobby Knight coached Indiana? Or John Chenney Coached Temple? Or when Rick Majerus coached Utah? Never mind that. What about when Billy Packer ran his mouth on the TV time breaks? Could this age of kids stand to have their games play by play done by the great Al McGuirre? Sense of humor and all, he was honest and at times brutally frank.

Here is what I saw. The coach threw the ball at the kids below the knees. I heard he referred to the kids with homosexual slurs and used profanity. The coach pushed a few kids around. The kids responded without retaliating but responding to the instruction. The coach was fighting for his team to get out and stay out of the Big East cellar and also fighting to keep his job while putting the time in to improve the quality of the team. Did he cross the line? How many coaches operate the same way from 10 and under to remaining coaches in the NCAA tourney?

When the Cal coach Mike Montgomery pushed that kid during the game, that was different. He apologized and dealt with the kid and the parent in private after the fact. Cal got mauled because it seems the coach was afraid to confront that kid for missing all of those shots and playing soft.

Coaches beware. That's all I can say

I saw that footage and throwing a ball at a players head while he's on the ground and other such nonsense is not good coaching. It's abuse of power. The best coaches out there don't do that. If a student-athlete turned around and did that to a coach when he made a mistake he'd be kicked out the school and be accused of not respecting his coach. Respect works both ways.

Coaches who only know how to scream, bark and hit their players to get results are very narrow minded. Just like video outted police brutality when it caught Rodney King getting his ass beat so too will video taping how coaches treat their players will hopefully end that nonsense too.

To be honest, that video was the best thing to happen to Coach Rice because one day, one of those young men he hit, pushed or used as a dodgeball target would've eventually rose up and knocked him the f**k out even if it meant him losing his scholarship.

I will agree though. Coaches beware. It's about time.

This post was edited on 4/2 7:04 PM by TopDawg7

Eric Murdock threw his 2 cents in for that job and I don't want to say testified against Coach Rice, but one thing is for sure. Mike Rice is the kind of coach that a lot of schools want for today's kid and Eric Murdock would not last one season. One other thing for sure, is that no coach will hire Eric Murdock as an assistant. He will get a job from an Athletic director to keep and eye on a coach but that's it.

I did see a couple of inadvertent balls thrown that players moved in to but they were not malicious throws and not fireballs. Each coach has his way of doing things and the people that look in from the outside see one thing and does anyone take into Mike Rice springing out of his pocket to feed these kids, take them to movies and bowling, spend time talking to them about their problems and lives? I give those kids credit. Every last one of them responded to the teaching part of it and I guarantee you every last one of them had a coach like that.

When I said, "Coaches Beware" I'm talking to my partners, peers and people that do what I do...This is a generation of young people who will "blend in" as a whole and not blaze their own portraits. This is a generation of Facebook, World Starr Hip Hop, You Tube and the footage rat finks are heroes. If you are willing to let your emotions get the best of you, then you won't be doing this long. One day, we will be able to say that the Renaissance of young men living at home until 35 and beyond came from us, as a society being enablers. One day, those kids will all have a boss just like that, or a father in law just like that or have to deal with a neighbor or family member or friend who is aggressive, in your face or even physically challenging. I applaud what I saw from the kids and I hope that program sticks together.

Top Dawg I woud like to put up my own money to pay to see you on a sideline somewhere. Even if that means giving you the keys to the whip for my program. You have no clue what today's player is all about and you have no idea about what today's parent is all about. If you feel froggy then jump on this one. Ill put a team in the EBC, Nike Swoosh or 145th Street Rucker if you feel like you can show us how its done then my money is good. You can assemble your own players or Ill give you a roster Im used to dealing with. I just want to provide the basin for you to get your feet wet in this business. ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE? The gauntlet has been thrown down and I slapped you with the gloves and demand satisfaction. My cash!

"I DIDNT HEAR ONE KID COMPLAIN--SO THIS VIDEO IS BS--"

What?!! The same can be said for victims of child abuse, spousal abuse, sexual harrassment, rape or police brutality. Just because no one complained doesn't mean it didn't happen. That's why its abuse of power. These people abuse because they can. Popes, coaches, employers etc. They do it because they know that people rarely complain but videos don't lie.

You make it sound like kids are like savage apes that need to beat, kicked, pushed or slapped to be controlled. I know if a coach hit my kid like he hit those kids, I'd expect him to defend himself.

So a coach were fondling your kid but he was OK with it, you'd be OK with it?

I know you'll gonna say thats different but really its not. Because a kid, spouse or employee is abused and is OK with the abuse cuz they don't know any better, doesn't mean its OK?

Assault is illegal. If you kick me and throw and object at my head, I can have you arrested. Look it up.

I know that Rutgers staff personally and they are good guys. You know why they did not complain? Because they eat with the coach, they are a family and they have good laughs about the so called"abuse" that bond them together. I know some of those kids. They love it there. There was no service done here. A lot of kids plans are upside down and the staff has to retool and land on their feet. Anyone who doesnt coach, work with todays kids and never played a sport should pipe down.

If you fired every coach in every sport in college that acted in a clip shot of how mike Rice did there would not be enough teams left in the NCAA to have conferences.

Eric Murdock released this information and footage after his contract was not renewed. He is positioning himself for a pay day under the whistleblower act. From a legal standpoint he won't geta dime. Rice was retained by the University after the infractions and punished with a suspension and a fine. He will be paid for his contract and Murdock will not see a penny nor ever work for a legitimate program again. He is also on the outside of basketball from this day foward.

Not one ex-player is calling for his head and not one current player. He will get a job before the fall.

I hear nothing when I offer Top Dawg a chance to do something and show us how its done. that offer stands TD.

I do feel bad for the kids and the program. I heard that five kids had transferred recently which indicates kids were already getting fed up. I also think someone else's head should roll as well though. If Rutgers saw the video and got the complaint and suspended and fined Rice, why do they then fire him only when the video leaks to the public? He should have been fired on the spot or not at all unless he continued abusing the kids after the video.

Keep your money coach and invest it in giving your team some fundamental training over the summer and hopefully one day before you retire you'll make it to MSG coaching your team in psal city chip instead of being there as just another ticketholder or aspiring to play against a message board member in a streetball tournament. By now you should already know how its done.

or maybe not.

Just what I thought. All American blowhard, and slick responses to a real man's challenge. Stick to being a spectator. You aren't built for real people or today's kids or today's hood. Don't worry, we will handle it. Stay in your lane and anonamous where you can live in that utopia that exists in your keyboard. Let us real dudes handle life.

I see. So to have or support a valid opinion or observation one must play against you in a streetball tournament. Yeah right
flush.r191677.gif

That's how you make and support your point regarding verbally and physically abusive behavior? Get a car and then talk about staying in lanes.

Abuse is a abuse. Its not limited to basketball. What Rice did was not appropriate in any setting. Period.

I can not believe what I have just read. There is no excuse for that type of behavior from any coach or human being period! The fact that it is being defended by those I believe to be coaches is extremely disturbing to me and the fact that no one else has backed Topdawg up on this one is very telling of the people who are around and are infuencing our kids today. Players on that team did not like being treated in that manor nor do any players that I know, who are many in both the high school arena and college level, including my son.The fact that players did not respond does not mean they are condoning the behavior but are simply being bullied into having to deal with it or possibly face the bench or worse. This activity was criminal and I can assure you that he will not be coaching again anytime soon.
Topdawg I am sure you will reply that you did not need to be backed up but I could not remain silent on this matter nor should others.

EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION--U HAVE MADE YOURS CLEAR--
I AM SHOCKED NO PLAYER KNOCKED THE SHIT OUTTA THIS COACH--MY SON SURLEY WOULD HAVE--

COO,
What is your opinion cuz you're flip flopping so much you've got to have bruises all over and I'm getting dizzy watching.
confused0003.r191677.gif

First you sided with the coach Rice 100%. Then you said if your son was cool with being a dodge ball target, then you're cool with it. Now you say you're surprised no one knocked him out by now and would expect your son to do that if he were in that position.

Rice also picked the wrong campus for homophobic remarks. A kid recently committed suicide there so the State was ultra sensitive.

Thanks concerned. I was beginning to think I was in an alternate universe.
party0018.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/4 4:44 PM by TopDawg7

READ AGAIN I DIDNT SIDE WITH RICE--JUST STATED FACTS--
FACT 1--NO KID COMPLAINED NOT ONE---
FACT 2--THE AD REVIEWED THE TAPE A WHILE BACK--AND SUSPENDED THE COACH AND FINED HIM--FOR WHAT HE DID-
FACT 3-- THE AD CRACKED FROM THE PUBLIC OUTCRY AND FIRED THE COACH---HE SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT ONCE HE VIEWED THE TAPE --
FACT 4--I FEEL BAD FOR THE KIDS--NOT THE COACH--NOT THE SCRUB THAT WHOS CONTRACT WASNT RENEWED WHO BLEW THE WHISTLE--WHY DIDNT HE COME FORWARD MONTHS AGO? MMMMMM
FACT 5--THIS WORLD IS VERY SENSITIVE, DON CHEENY AND BOB KNIGHT DID THE SAME SHIT FOR 40 YEARS--THEY WERE MOLDING MEN, LEADERS, UPSTANDING MEN--- THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY

U ARE THE SAME DUDE THAT BLASTED COACH GILVARY--EVERYONE JUMPS THE GUN--

LETS ALL WORK TOGETHER FOR A COMMON GOAL--TO HELP THE KIDS--BE A SUPPORT SYSTEM--TO GUIDE AND HELPS SHAPE YOUNG MINDS

You should read the first post you made when you started this thread. You didn't state any facts. You stated your opinion devoid of the video.

I do agree that more heads should roll because administation saw the video months ago and only fired him when the video became public. I have no idea what youre talking about regarding Gilvary but one fact is just because a person who's being abused doesn't complain doesn't mean they havent been abused. Look at those kids that got abused by priests. They couldn't bring themselves to complain until they were in their forties. Same with kids from abusive parents or employees from abusive employers. The fear of losing what they are trying to get keeps the from complaining (scholarship or a paycheck)

Abusers do what they do BECAUSE THEY KNOW NO ONE WILL COMPLAIN. For you to lead off with "FACT 1--NO KID COMPLAINED NOT ONE---" unfortunately shows how little you know about abuse and how it really works.

I also don't fault the whistle blower. I'd fault him if he didn't say something. Just like with that pedophile Sandusky from Penn State and all those adults who stood by and said and did nothing while he molested all those kids. YUCK!!

If your kid was being abused and you didn't know it you'd be taking the whistleblower out for a steak dinner.

I do believe that more heads need to roll and lets help our kids. We agree on that.

Oh yeah. I never jump the gun. Didn't you read my tag below.
scared0018.r191677.gif

My last post is my only post. The hacker is a loser
Rice is crazy and he should never coach again
Without getting therapy

The reason you won't get many posts on this other than Top Dawg is because basketball people know that there is more to Coach Rice than the lowest common denominator that you see on that footage. Basketball people also know that the media, other college coaches who had so much to say including the Jay Bilas dude who was at Duke when the players, fans and program were notoriously racist, Bob Knight who headbutted kids, kicked them, collared them, brought a whip to practice and cracked it with a team half full of black players, I cannot even think about naming the coaches who use profanity and racial and sexual preference slurs....I don't have enough memory to post all of them. It makes me sick to hear Bruce Pearl and his BS? Removed from coaching and fired by Tennessee and the NCAA sanctions any school who takes him on has to suffer his sanctions violations? Do you know what goes on in football? I can tell you that Im glad you sensitive guys have no clue because the hazing and behavior by coaches who miss out on BCS money is much worse than this footage by Rice.

I know he Rutgers staff and what you all watched was an edited "Rice GReatest Hits". Nothing positive was shown and he kept his job for a reason. Every kid was interviewed and the University, their parents and they were comfortable in his punishment. Thats why he was kept and there was no mutiny. My biggest complaint is people who know basketball know that players and coaches have locked horns, coaches and coaches have locked horns and players and players have locked horns.When a man is down, the easiest thing to do is get a kick in. Rice had a
cornball out to score and take over that job. As the lowest man on the
staff, he didn't confront Rice. He got someone to tape all of his
practices over a 3 year period and he doctored a remix tape and aired it
after his contract wasn't renewed.

Its different for me because I played for people who were worse since I was a kid. I don't think Rice has a wicked bone in his body and I would trust my own son to play for him. My father schooled me properly the same way i schooled my son. If things ever got to out of control, he taught me how to handle any situation. There are people still walking around NYC basketball that stood by and allowed fouler things to go down and to this day won't speak on things, but we all know!

This is a message board. From now on I will remember that. Opinions are no prize possession. If you go to the barber shop, have post dinner drinks on thanksgiving or hang out on the block you will find that everybody thinks differently. After taking this all in, I realize it is all about winning, politics and public relations. I sickens me to see the hippocrites on ESPN and other college coaches talking trash after the fact. The man is fired and you have to lose a job in life to value a job. YOu have to get dumped by a woman you really care about and come back with a better woman and you have to get your ass kicked one good time to learn to respect others. If you can do those 3 things, you will be a better man. Mike Rice will work again and Eric Murdock will never work for anybody.

Now hold that.

This post was edited on 4/4 11:23 PM by psalguy

Looked at a feed someone in the mix of this video gate mess sent me. Out of respect for him he asked that i not post it. I wanted you all to know some things that I saw for myself;

1. This video was taken over a period of 3 years. Some of the players in the video graduated in 2011 season. Some of the players transferred in 2011 or 2012.

2. The practice uniforms are not the ones used in 2013 which means the footage is not just from this season.

3. A clearer and more complete picture of some of the clips show some of the players laughing hysterically at times while the coach is going berzerk. It also shows the coach laughing at himself and embracing some of the players he was going berzerk on directly after melt downs. Players also jokingly referred to some of the melt downs and mocked the coaches.

4. Players also assisted the coaches in trying to get teammates on the same page so that the team could move on to the next drill after doing the same thing over and over and over. A player chucked a ball at a teammate in that sequence and that drew laughs as well.

5. A player who had just been ridiculed 10 minutes earlier worked on a shooting drill with the same coach for 15 minutes while other players shot free throws. When the player made his quota or goal, he slapped the coach on the backside and high fived him then chucked the ball into the bleachers as the rest of the players clapped as he joined the rest of the group in a Rocky arms up position.

I 100% fully understand the impact of public perception and I knew from last week how this would all end. The post was put up on Sunday before the feed hit and before Coach Rice was fired. My original tirade was directed at the rat who released the feed to strong arm Rutgers into giving him a job or positioning himself for a lawsuit while using a doctored piece of evidence as a leverage tool.

There are people standing on soap boxes and I get that. To the spectator's eyeball and ears, "this is some repugnant s---" as Samuel Jackson would say. However, for the person who filmed and produced the video, why now? IF you are really concerned with the "welfare of the children" why 3 years later? You mean that you were stockpiling all of the visual eveidence of abuse and you were there all of this time and NOW is the right time to let the world know after you got fired?

In December when coach Rice was suspended, the footage was presented in its entirety. The precursors and the post interaction with the kids that may have justified some of the things that were completely unconventional. that is not what the public saw and that is not what has made people so disgusted. What really should disgust people, is Eric Murdock like many other ex NBA players is seeking to get into coaching like other NBA ex players who need medical coverage the one thing not provided by the CBA under the players association. Adrian Dantley is a middle school crossing guard in Silver Springs Maryland. I see so many ex NBA players who walk into jobs in colleges for what they accomplished on the court. Its a recruiting tool and instant credibility for a program. He was hired as the director of player development. NOBODY DEVELOPED! the stats don't lie and neither does the Big East record. He didn't develop a damn thing!

My prayers are reserved for the kids of the Rutgers team. Whoever comes in as the coach will be like the mothers new boyfriend who moved in and wants them out just like Jody from Baby Boy. They will have to learn a new system and some of them will really miss their coach. they are not allowed to talk about anything publicly so you can't hear their stories but in time, they will have their say. I also hope that Coach Rice's staff can land on their feet. They are really good, loyal guys who know the game and make much less money and have to uproot their families and find new jobs. I have no doubt coach Rice will work again and I hope that the AD finds a new job as well and he will. The AD was a sacraficial lamb and PR fallout is a strong thing, they all had to go.

Now since this thing may humanize if nothing else the situation a little more, I feel a lot better. It was good to hear a few people come talk to me last night at Baruch and say they agreed with me and to say that if they taped everybody's practices over the last 3 years, the whole sport would be coaching themselves. That is the railroad that angers me than and angers me now. There are just too many people that have been affected by shock value and this thing will change the bar of how coaches walk the line and trust people around them. Time will tell more about this situation and there will be more identical situations in multiple sports that will floodgate the media.

This is a new day indeed. Im glad I got to see Billy Martin on the news for getting drunk and slugging players and punking Reggie Jackson and Reggie rising to the occasion every time. I got to see the Buck Williams vs. Lonnie Shelton Fight. I got to see Ronnie Lott lose a finger and keep playing. I got to see Bobby knight throw those chairs on the court (and make money to this day on that) and I got to see the Syracuse Georgetown fight live on TV in 1988. That said, you know my DNA.

U could say that if all D-1 coaches have a "highlight" tape of their worst moments then they would all be fired. However, the physical abuse does not go one as much as ur alluding it does psalguy. And ur point that it was a video over the course of three years makes it worse! Especially for the AD who referred to the video as a "first offense", what a bunch of clowns.

As far as the verbal abuse, yes that is very common. But rice was known to go over the top, way over. And I'm not talking about how he called his players f****ts, more talkin about him saying it to kids and also making personal attacks to his players. That video doesn't even scratch the surface of things he has said.

There is no place for that garbage in the game

Again, he learned a lesson and he will get another shot. I just hate the idea of him having horns out of the sides of his head because he doesn't. The whole argument of abuse, physical and verbal has widened over the years. We as a society have become politically correct to a point of enabling and it really is crippling our mental fortitude. Our kids are not taking advantage of working papers, we reward them with gifts we cannot afford, we don't punish them in fear of losing their friendship and we do not allow them to fight their own battles. This is why they are living at home until they are in their 30's and they are still depending on their parents well into their 40's. You can't offend people or say anything to their face out of fear of lawsuits, repercussions or being labeled an enignma. What people end up doing is section themselves off and talk hateful talk behind closed doors or with people or groups they feel comfortable with. In the case of Coach Rice, he loved the people around him and got comfortable with them and acted like he was in his living room or his frat house. He is a life loving spirited guy who is sacrificing a chunk of his career to warn and save his peers from self peril. Although he may not have intended it, he is the messenger of a wake up call to the rest of us to realize what repercussions may cost.

Has anyone an opinon on Eric Murdock on all of this?

I can't get inside of Murdock's head so I don't know if he's doing this for personal or financial gain or because he felt morally obligated to do it but the end result, it was the right thing to do. Bin Laden was caught because a 25 million dollar bounty was put on his head. Did the person who turned him in do it for the money or because it was the right thing to do? The answer, Who cares because at the end of the day, the wicked witch is dead either way.

The FBI is currently investigating Eric Murdock for extortion according to Outside The Lines on ESPN.

Also revealed in today's broadcast is that Rutgers was approved to join the Big 10 and will not be in the Big East next season. Make no mistake about it, that is a FOOTBALL move, same as in the case of Syracuse and U. Conn who are both leaving to other conferences (ACC). Part of that deal, to improve the school as a whole, they were adding a new state of the art medical school, expanding the graduate schools and high rise hotel quality dorm facilities to accomodate graduate students and campus guests. Doug Christie (Governor) was involved and vowed to pledge state money. At this time, University President Bharti viewed the footage of the undoctored tape and deemed a suspension and fine appropriate. Over $100,000,000.00 was at eventual stake. In the greater good of NCAA money, basketball is peanut money compared to football, housing and tuition. That definitely helped in his decision. All of the players were investigated and questioned and that was the major component in the decision making. An outside investigation firm was hired by Rutgers as well as outside legal counsel. The AD was the scapegoat and now they are asking Pesident Bharti to step down. Wont happen. The most successful President in the school's history and a top university president in the country.

When Murdock and another staff member were let go, I mean FIRED, the doctored "Greatest Hits" was released to the media 6 MONTHS LATER and in the week of their terminations. Murdock stayed on the staff with the protection of the Whistle Blower Act. Also in cases of child abuse or crime, a reporter is protected from institutional retribution. If it can be established that Murdock suggested or issued an ultimatum or used withheld information (The DAMN FOOTAGE) for leverage or personal gain then extortion can be established. Extortion on a corporate level is ummm...A FEDERAL CRIME I believe? Mandatory Jail. Mandatory.

Osama Bin Laden. SMH. Yeah buddy whatever.

Another email just sent to me. The amount Eric Murdock and his attorney asked for was $950,000.00 when he found out his contract would not be renewed. That request was made in writing. Rutgers opted not to pay him restitution or severance. Then the doctored footage was sent to Outside the Lines, ABC, CBS and the NCAA. Who sent it? I don't know, but the FBI peoples will be able to tell from the URL portal.

This information is public. Google in Eric Murdock being investigated for extortion by the FBI.

LOL! Good parody. Now let's see a clip with Eric Murdock doing a skit as a cast member of Oz.

Eddie Jordan? OK Alumni, part of their last team to make it to the Final 4, NBA veteran with player and coaching experience. A gentleman with good, strong damage control skills...A fundamentally "safe bet" for a program that needs an image overhaul.

Will he be able to recruit, convince kids to buy into this Princeton Offence that didn't work in the pros or adjust to the college athlete after dealing with pros for so long?

I would have given Bob Hurley a 3 year deal. No college coach in his right wants to fix this mess.

BIG SHOUT TO MY MAN COACH RICE WHO IS COACHING HIS DAUGHTER'S AAU GIRLS 12 AND UNDER TEAM AND ACCORDING TO TWITTER IS AS ANIMATED AS EVER! GOOD TO SEE YOU CAN"T KEEP A GOOD DUDE DOWN! COACH, GOOD LUCK AND A LOT OF US LOOK FOWARD TO SEEING YOU BACK WHERE YOU BELONG OR ON THE NEXT LEVEL!

This post was edited on 4/15 2:52 PM by psalguy

The new AD at Rutgers was apparently the potty mouthed verbally abusive volley ball coach from hell and had her entire D1 team in 1997 sign a petition to have her removed from coacing while at then Top 20 ranked Tennessee. Wow. What I remembered first was her press conference when introduced as the Rucker AD a couple of months ago. I thought Rutgers went out of the way to hire a well established (no experience) basketball coach with an impecable image and then they hired this AD who appeared to be as hard as a bag of jawbreakers, and now this.

Does the President get fired? Does the AD now have to eat crow and resign? Did the Rutgers people do adequate inquiry? Apparently this thing is so embarassing, Governor Christie is now involved (State Money) and a meeting is scheduled for today. you get rid of two guys who you deemed abusive and then hire an AD who was removed from a post for claling the players, alcoholics, learning disabled, whores and bums. She didnt throw the ball at them but 15 years ago, Im sure those women are doing very well in life and nobody is eating ham and cheese on triscuits living in a trailer watching Bill Cunningham because of their college coach's language.

When does it stop?

It stops when stupid people stop getting hired for jobs that require intelligence. Rutgers execs hired lighter fluid to put out a fire. That's just plain dumb. A little due diligence would've have gone a long way especially at Rutgers, a place where a gay student jumped to his death due to verbal abuse. Obviously a place like that is more sensitive to abuse issues of any kind, as they should be. Common sense should have told them to look for someone with no record of verbal abuse in their work history. Duh.

Just a few questions. Is it verbal abuse or acceptable rather when a drill sergeant does it? Are people not capable of rehabilitating? Just posing the questions to hear responses. My bigger question is how many black candidates were interviewed for the AD job?

Abuse should not be tolerated, period. Be as intense and passionate as you'd like but its not necessary to cross the line into ethnic slurs etc. People can rehabilitate on their own dime. Some jobs aren't under a microscope. The Rutgers jobs are because of a serious issue involving the death of a student.

As far as how many blacks were interviewed, who cares? How many blacks applied for the job? Must we always go there? I'd rather get the best experienced person for the job as opposed to focusing on gender, race and other factors that have nothing to do with doing the job itself.

Stupid people that apply for jobs? Wow. Ok anyone who may have done anything that tweaks the ire of some, dont ever work again because of Top Dawg's feelings and abuse in his background. that isn't even idealistic. There is nobody on this earth that hasn't done something that they wish they could not take back. If they haven't then they will.

My point is when I say, "when does it stop?" I am talking about the bleeding hearts who cant accept reality that competitive sports has some ties with "tough talk" and that should be ok. Champions had someone tell them they aint #$%^ and champions rose to the top.

If you are going to be a champion, you must have some thick skin. Ditto for being a breadwinner. Life is abusive and the day your kid decides to join a fraternity, get drafted (year, 5 years i give it), play D1 sports or silences naysayers or completes a task he doubted he could, he will hear that negative voice in his ear.

Sports had nothing to do with that guys death, so every mistake a person has made in the past should not be connected as if it will lead to something so traumatic as death. If making it public made him commit suicide, then we have to acknowledge that there were deeper issues there that he was not comfortable with or accepting in regards to being gay. If you are accepting of your lifestyle then why would you go to that extreme for people stating something that is true. Now if you told me he was straight and others were made to believe he was gay, I could see the pressure possibly getting to him. Getting back on track though, nobody is free from actions that others would consider to be improper. The key is seeing if they repeat the mistake and if in 17 years a person has a proven track record with no hiccups, how can you say they dont deserve to be given a chance?
As for those black candidates being interviewed, it becomes a serious trickle down affect that has plagued the black community over time. Too often those in the community with high education or intelligence are not put into positions to seriously make a change, but rather in the hands of those who are incompetent or quick to mislead the masses with organized stupidity, just look at the music industry. Only in the black community is education not rewarded which starts with not giving high profile jobs and trickles down to kids saying I dont want to be like him and look for other avenues to become famous or make a large amount of money. Now some will read this and say well look at obama, and I will say yes look at obama, do you think he would have won if his parents or grandparents were both black or part of the civil rights movement and how many black males has he appointed to high positions but that is another conversation. The point is educated black men need to be interviewed and hired and not just the same recycling of people that makes others in power feel comfortable or less threatened. I wonder if a civil war would start if over 60% of coaches and management in hockey were black.lol

Equal opportunity for employment is a must but how did the off topic "are black people being considered for the job" leak into a thread about the question "was it abuse or coaching"? Shouldnt this be a separate topic?

As far as sports as it relates to the student's death, its all under the umbrella of bad press. Rice's homophobic comments are what connects the two. The student was gay and was also taunted for being gay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT