ADVERTISEMENT

Yacoubou is & LuHi overrated

TopDawg7

Gold Member
Oct 8, 2007
Ashcraf Yacoubou is aiiight but he's not the second coming and if LuHi doesn't get K.J. back they're sunk as well. While Tobias and Yacoubou are good they're not very physical players and will lose to a team that bangs. They will lose any game where they have to catch up, as they really don't have no body that can create foir themself so they better get out in front early and stay there to win games. They actually may have been better last year. What do ya think?

Achraf Yacoubou can create for himself and create open shots for other players. He is not the second coming but there is no better combo guard in the 2011 class; with him,Tobias and Tyler LUHI will be fine. Hi Haters!

I think LuHi is going to be completely fine. After seeing them at iS8 this weekend I was a little more sold on their whole squad. Their sophomore point guard, Mike Florin, isn't bad and that whole team has a very, very bright future. I think Achraf needs to work on his handle but he's athletic enough to where he can run off of screens and get open.

I think they will be "fine" as well. Probably about as good as last year give or take but not blow it out the box better than last year.

LuHi was not extremely physical last year. They started four guards 6'2" and under, none of them in mold of a Khalid El-Amin. You're also forgetting LuHi's center, Shamar Stephen, who has committed to UCONN on a football scholarship. Physical enough for you? The toughest thing for the Crusaders will be that they are a young team, not their physicality. If this group buys in to the team concept the way last year's group did, watch out.

I agree that their lack of senior experience might be the one thing that could really hinder them on their way to a state championship.

I think your wrong on almost everything. Achcraf is extremely talented and to say he can't create is crazy. He is only in 10th grade...and he will destroy LI competitors.....he is going to be the man on LI soon and is just going to get better and better. Their youth will be the down fall here not their physical play. Watch Achraf play with a full squad and more coaching and ull see a monster. U have prob only seen him play in the summer leagues with a diminished squad......LuHi will take care of business

With Phenom Tobias Harris , Tyler Harris, Shelmar Stevens, Ash Yacoubou, Shaun Thomas LUHI will be very good this year the best on Long Island by far and one of the best team in New York City.

They are definitely stacked and when Kevin Johnson returned mid to end of the season they will be even more formittable

still think they are overrated after a good showing against lincoln in the scrimmage today? Ash played pretty well and scored a bunch against Lance. The whole LuHi team put together good effort and shooting. The Defense at some points was just awful. But they played well. Overall LuHi lost by 2 pts. Lincoln won 4 qtrs and LuHi won 2 qtrs. But two of the qtrs Lincoln won were by one point each. And you can say that 4/6 qtrs had starters in for the most part.

LuHi looked decent against Lincoln, I don't think scrimmage scores are meant to be added up and scored or else they would be games. Also cant say that Lance even guarded Yacoubou, it seemed he was concerned with defending Harris the entire scrimmage, providing an interesting back and forth exchange

Lance started off guarding Harris but later on in the scrimmage he switched the Ash on defense but Tobias still covered him on offense. If Ash didn't shut up the critics showing how he plays against some of the best in the nation(as a sophomore mind you), I don't know what will.

Lance guarded Harris for the majority of the scrimmage at the last quarter Lance was guarding Harris and Harris guarded Lance the whole scrimmage. Lance did guard Ash for 4 minutes when he enter the game from sitting out the quarter.

"The young Lutheran team was able to more than hold their own, however, with the starters only losing to the Lincoln starters by a four point margin. This was due in large part to the play of 6-4 sophomore wing Achraf Yocoubou. The former American Christian product, who played alongside Memphis freshman Tyreke Evans and Oak Hill’s MoMo Jones (Virginia Tech) a year ago under Tony Bergeron, had 30 points and seemed to gain the respect of Stephenson, who switched off of Harris to guard him about midway through the scrimmage."

from zagsblog.com

Adam Zagoria was not at the scrimmage so I don't know how he could write a story on the scrimmage. Did anyone see Adam at LuHi vs Lincoln scrimmage?

If you actually go to zagoria's site it clearly states that the review of the Lincoln-LuHi scrimmage was written by a "guest blogger," not by Adam himself. Based on that, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Adam wasn't there.

That little "guess blogger" ditty was added after he got reamed for not being there.

Derek Klein showed senior leadership and hit two big shots to settle LuHi down. Shamar Stephen played shut down defense,hit the boards and scored on the low post. E.J.Parry showed he could hit the jump-shot.The FAB FIVE Sophmores: Mike Florin hit 4-5 from 3-point land,all BIG shots and showed he could run the point. Joe Savaglio showed he could hit the jumper,play D,run the floor and finish in traffic. He will be a major player in N.Y. before he's done. Tyler Harris calmed down in the 5th set and showed that he can shoot and has a high basketball IQ. Shaun Lawton showed he has no fear, a good on the ball defender who goes to the hole well and is developing his outside game. Then there's Achraf Yacoubou who isn't the second coming, but is a very good basketball player and a great young man. Oh I almost forgot Tobias Harris who blended in so well it allowed every player to bring what they had to the table. Great start Coach Carey,Grasso,Buck,Foster and Clancy; we have a TEAM!

No it wasn't... it was there right from the start. Maybe you just didn't notice it at first.

Lutheran did end up settling down as the game wore on, but their guards had no idea what hit them in the first quarter. If Lutheran can find a way to consistently handle pressure they will be good. Yacoubou is as good as advertised and we all know about Tobias.

Once Yacoubou increases his basketball IQ, Lutheran will really take off. His shot selection was questionable at some points, but you can see the kid has all the talent in the world. I'm sure Coach Carey will help him continue to build on the already immense talent the kid has.

Player to watch this year for a breakthrough season: E.J. Parry. He was a hyped player from a weaker Lynbrook team and the higher competition took him by surprise, but he's really adapted this year and with more playing time will prove something.

One thing to mention is that luhi hit some shots because of the fact that almost no defense at all was being played on a couple of them trying to make a point by trying lock up certain people. Ash is very good.

Congratulation to the Big Apple Basketball Invitational All Tournament 1st Team: Russ Smith,Brandon Triche,Sean Kilpatrick,Jayvaughn Pinkston,Achraf Yacoubou. 2nd Team: Brandon Knight Jr.,Lance Stephenson,Durand Scott,Alshawn Hymes,Keith Spellman. Honorable Mention: Johnny Lacy,Reynaldo Walters.

Let's be logical. After Lance and maybe Durand, they are the next best players in the NYC/Long Island area. Period. Don't take my word for it, check the stats.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT