ADVERTISEMENT

The St Mary's duo was strong at Big Apple Scholarship Game

wingdribble

Jan 9, 2010
I just got some feedback from the Big Apple Scholarship game this weekend. St Mary's seniors Chaz Morrish (17 points) and Kirk Bailey (12 points)were the high scorers for their team this past weekend at Baruch. They were the only 2 kids from Long Island that made the cut. There were 250 players that tried out and they cut it down to 40 players. Chavaughn Lewis from St Mary's also made the Wheelchair Classic team. This was a real talented team.

I do believe that Chaz Morrish scored (19) points,at least that is what the score book said.However congratulations to those kids. It is nice to see the not out there names getting some recognition, especially when Chaz Morrish was the unknown second leading scorer for the St. Mary's (Gaels)who won the 2010 Championship for there Division.

I heard they both signed LOI's with Mercy College. If that's true, best of luck to both of them.

Talk about the "not out there names". I'm a college coach/scout that attended to the BAB scholarship game. Where did this kid Kirk Bailey come from?
He was playing over the rim, rebounding, handling the ball and hitting threes at 6'5? He wasn't even on my radar and I don't remember seeing him play much during the season. I figured that he must have an attitude problem or something. It turned out to be the opposite. Jason Curry told me that he was "one of the most talented and hardest working kids that came out. PLUS he had a GREAT attitude". I spoke with him directly & found out that same plus he's an Honor student with several interested colleges and scholarship offers, (Not including the one that i'll be offering). It's inexplicable to me how an athletic 6"5 senior with this kind of talent can logically be hidden on the bench for any High School school. And especially one in Long Island. I remember reading somewhere that they lost the state championship because they "lacked height"???? Go figure!
Anyway, kudos to Jason & BAB for giving these kids a chance to get recognized. This is why I feel that sometimes AAU is the best route. Mary's winning the title or not, this coach obviously has some issues. This is not the first time that I'm hearing about uneven treatment regarding the kids in this program.
Congrats and kudos to Kirk for sticking it out!
Good luck to Chaz also! I liked his game and would suggest a Prep school for him to bulk up & adds some toughness to be successful on the next level.

Bailey was St. Mary's tallest player. I also heard he's very good, but I saw Mary's about 7 times this season and he only got playing time on a few occasions. And when he did, it was a minute here, a minute there, but never enough to really show what he had. Glad to see him get some light.

These two also made the Long Island All Star Challenge game. The catholic school All-Stars dominated the Suffolk public school all-stars. Nico Roberts was outstanding from 3 point range scoring 31 points. Rexton Gordon was also dominanat with 14 points respectively. Rexton had a highlight dunk on Darien Davis' head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT