ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings are getting stupid

Restoredatradition

Sep 11, 2008
These rankings are starting to get stupid. SJB was 1 Lutheran was 2 and Uniondale was 3. SJB losses to a good Iona Prep team by alot, move them down. Uniondale beats North Babylon by alot and jumps over a better Lutheran team? Stupid.....not to mention SJB just randomly jumped over Lutheran at one point near the end of the season when LuHi was in 1. I know these are just rankings and mean nothing at all, but my gosh at least have some respect for your site and try to have some validity for these rankings. What a joke. I understand SJB being ahead of Lutheran for a little while, but they lost and then you feel the need to stick an overrated Uniondale team ahead of LuHi? Do you watch these teams play??
This post was edited on 3/15 11:54 AM by Restoredatradition
This post was edited on 3/15 11:55 AM by Restoredatradition

Also noticed how you don't have North Babylon in the top ten when they beat Longwood. You have Kellenburg ahead of NB; idk if you guys are aware but the Catholic league is not very good so it is safe to say the NB is more deserving then them. Roslyn is not better than EH...thought that was obvious when they beat them. Like what the heck is going on with this? The city rankings seem decent. LI is just....ehh this team looks good at this ranking, oh this team has a pretty record we will put them here. Either don't rank LI anymore (or cover it) and give me my money back or do research about the teams you are writing about/ranking.

Didn't LuHi lose to St. Francis Prep, one of those Catholic schools that's "not very good." Lutheran should have beat them without Tobias, Achraf, the entire starting five or the coaching staff. You just don't lose to St. Francis Prep and call it a bad day cuz it's just never that bad. They beat one good team all year. lol

In my opinion, a team that has to do nothing and beat no one in order to get a trip to Glenn Falls is a travesty. At least the other teams had to earn their trip upstate.

Eric, LuHi also beat two teams that made it out of their sections in th AA division Albany CBA and Greece Athena without Tobias Harris and Kevin Johnson. LuHi also hasn't lost a game since thier return and futhermore didn't they just blow out your our savior new(Old)America team in a scrimmage last week! How dare you insult LuHi! Go find some new(OLD) players!
This post was edited on 3/16 9:40 AM by nyskyriders
This post was edited on 3/16 2:25 PM by nyskyriders

Lutheran is on a 10 game win streak as well. And yes did beat the heck out of OSNA
This post was edited on 3/16 11:38 AM by Restoredatradition

We all know how important scrimmages are, my cousin beat Lance Stephenson in a game of HORSE last year. Why isnt he ranked? For the amount of talent LUHI had this year, they underperformed. They are a good team and I dont think you would be happy unless they were ranked 1, it just wouldnt be accurate. Talent-wise I would say they are 1.

I will agree with you there. Talent wise, Luhi is clearly number one on Long Island. Performance wise as a team they clearly underperformed to their potential. One look at their season record says it all. The only reason they;re going to Glen Fall is because the independent league has no criteria other than not having a losing record which sickens me.

Team Rankings should not be based on individual talent but based on team performance relative to how competitive that teams schedule is. I have no respect for a 20-0 team that plays panzies all year or a Class A team in a Class D league. If your in a weak conference and you think you're all that, then play in some competitive non-league games and/or tournaments and prove yourself. Otherwise stfu. There's no excuse for teams not challenging themselves. Alot of people bark about how this team is all that and that team is all that when in long Island, only a hand full of high school teams will take on serious competition in some of the tough New York City teams and I'm not talking about Molloy or St. Francis Prep. Kick Rice or Christ the Kings butt and then come talk to me.

I do give credit to St. Doms, Luhi, Uniondale, Lindenhurst and a few others who had the balls to play tough comp in NY and westchester. Everybody else?

I also agree with you that SCRIMMAGES DON'T COUNT. That's called grasping at straws. I once went one-on-one against a Lebron James poster and busted its butt. Does that count? lol

I'ld give the same credit to OSNA if they would play teams in their age group like St. Johns or Hofstra. (lol)

"I'ld give the same credit to OSNA if they would play teams in their age group like St. Johns or Hofstra. (lol)"

Too funny.

TopDawg7, you know that if Tobias Harris and Kevin Johnson played in the games against Christ the King and Rice that Luhi would have won, so stop hating on them plus win Luhi wins in Glenn Falls they would have beaten the best of the best even if they received a pass to semi-final. When is the next game for OSNA?

"TopDawg7, you know that if Tobias Harris and Kevin Johnson played in the games against Christ the King and Rice that Luhi would have won"

But they didn't and my crystal ball is still in the shop so I have no idea what Tobias and KJ woulda shoulda coulda done. Right now all I know is that Luhi has skated into a Class single A championship with a medorcre record while most of the big boys are playing in the Class AA. There is absolutely nothing to hate on.

Listen up long island teams. the public school may be tough and the catholic school may be soft but the Independent school league is the softest of them all. So if you want a green light to Glen Falls just join the Luhi squad. lol

You realize that if teams "joined the Luhi squad" they'd have to play in AISAA class A to get to Glenns Falls, which includes Luhi... so I would call it a major major hurdle to get to Glenns Falls, not so much a green light.

Its the way the Federation is set up. Is LuHi a. public b. catholic c. upstate or d. independent/private? You're right the path is easier, but its the way the system is set up.

JD might be the best team in NY, definitely top 3. And Iona Prep top ten in NY. So between Lutheran, Jd and Iona Prep, A is looking pretty go this year as it was last year. So no not all the big boys (who are overrated) are in AA. Its not LuHi's fault that the rest of the Independents head for B (Poly Prep) when LuHi came to Independent A. Next year you might just see a AA LuHi and it won't matter than either because they are a top program and will be next year as well. When LuHi beats JD (nationally ranked and top 2 or 3 in NY) what will you say than?

As for the scrimmages not counting....I say this: It is tough to play anything more than a scrimmage with OSNA when you are not legally allowed to play them during the season because you will lose your right to Glens Falls. OSNA is not sanctioned by NY. And if a coach is hating on LuHi and LI ball so much and saying how overrated LuHi is, don't you think he would of loved to beat LuHi in a few qtrs...maybe even one. Bottom line im pretty sure if OSNA won maybe even just one or two qtrs topdawg would be on here in a heartbeat screaming bloody murder how overrated Lutheran is.....but to his disappointment they got beat and has to revert to a loss against Francis Prep back months ago, with an injury plague team, with Francis Prep shooting 50!! free throws and 5 LuHi players being fouled out. Give it a rest man, the real LuHi team is the one you saw and the one you will see take home the Federation title.
This post was edited on 3/17 10:01 PM by Restoredatradition

"real LuHi team"?

WTF does that mean?

A team is a team is a team. Tobias Harris is not Luhi and Luhi is not Tobias Harris. Whatever team is on the court is on the court and that team is Luhi. When Tobias Harris is on the court and you guys lose, its the coaches fault or its because Tobias wasnt at 100% injured. When you guys win, that's the "real Luhi team." Convenient. You can't disown your team record or pick and choose which victories and losses are legit. Basketball ain't tennis. Its a team sport.

On paper Luhi is a really good team. Too bad we don't play on paper. A season is a body of work and the luhi body of work ironically kinda mimicks the Knicks. Big wins. Bigs losses and underperforming as a team. Maybe underperforming for legit reasons but underperforming nonetheless. Even though basketball isn't played on paper, at the end of the day your body of work is right there on paper. Iffy record. Big win against St. Anthony (NJ), an equally as big Big loss against St. Francis (OMG). Maybe talent did it or maybe the stars were aligned, just so.

As far as next year, don't count your chicken before he hatches like you did this year.

TopDawg7, I agree a team is team since Tobias has been back Luhi has won 11 straight on their way to Federation Title. Their has been no complaining to the coach since Tobias has been back because they have not lost......lol
This post was edited on 3/17 9:12 PM by AZ PREPS

NY Skyriders. I didn't post anything about LuHi. So stop talking trash. You should know who you are talking to before you post. Do not say things about our program. You do not know what you are talking about. if you really want to talk to me be a man and call my cell phone....everyone that is important has my number....Do not say anything about me or the kids at our school over internet message boards...you are very childish and a coward to do so.

BTW LuHi is a very good team and very well coached. They did beat us easily in the scrimmage.

They updated the rankings a bit but I would love to get an explanation on why kellenburg is there and not north babylon. And why Uniondale would jump Lutheran?

I don't know about n. babylon but Lutheran had fallen way down in the ranking mid-season from what I saw and moved up to #2 only after they beat St. Ant. With there record though they shouldn't even be #2. #6 makes more sense to me with a 17-8 record.

All of Lincoln's losses (except two) came against nationally ranked out-of-state teams so since this is a NYS ranking they're ranked about right. They only loss one game

All of Luhi's losses came against unranked New York State teams with a glaring loss against the bottom of the barrel St. Francis Prep which most high school JV squads could beat with their starters hurt. Only reason Luhi is ranked #2 in Long island is because L.I. rankings has a lower threshold.

No comparison

luhi wouldn't even be ranked in the NY ranking haviong loss 8 games to New York teams, especially to NY teams that are unranked nationally..

luhi probably got love in the first place based on last years vapors.

Top Dawg as usual you're wrong...what a surprise or is it just ignorant???

Rank Class AA Record Prev
===== ==================== ===== =====
1. Niagara Falls-6 22-0 1.
2. Albany Academy-2 22-1 2.
3. Bronx JFK-PSAL 25-2 3.
4. Mount Vernon-1 20-3 4.
5. Rice-CHSAA 22-3 7.
6. Abraham Lincoln-PSAL 19-10 8.
7. Christ The King-CHSAA 24-3 9.
8. Newburgh Free Academy-9 16-4 12.
9. Gates Chili-5 19-4 NR
10. Uniondale-8 19-2 13.
11. Poughkeepsie-1 20-3 11.
12. Rush-Henrietta-5 20-3 5.
13. Williamsville North-6 21-2 6.
14. New Rochelle-1 16-6 14.
15. Boys & Girls-PSAL 21-8 23.
16. Bishop Maginn-2 19-4 15.
17. Albany CBA-2 20-3 18.
18. Syracuse CBA-3 19-4 20.
19. Thomas Jefferson-PSAL 21-10 NR
20, Shenendehowa-2 21-2 16.
21. Greece Athena-5 19-4 NR
22. North Rockland-1 20-3 22.
23. McKee/Staten Island Tech-PSAL 25-6 NR
24. Jamestown-6 17-5 21.
25. North babylon-11 18-6 NR

6 of LuHi's 8 losses have come to NY State ranked DOUBLE AA teams....check the record and try to have some credibility. You need to get over the St Francis thing.

Hey Einstein. I never said just ranked, or state ranked.
I said NATIONALLY RANKED OUT-OF-STATE TEAMS!!!!!

LiNcolns losses came against nationally ranked out-of-state teams. Lincoln loss only two games against New York State teams. All of Luhi's EIGHT losses came against New York State teams who are not NATIONALLY RANKED. Now go crawl back in your hole and accept the FACT that Luhi is one of St. Francis Prep's 2 season victories. roflamao

Hey Moron your words were and I quote "All of Luhi's losses came against unranked New York State teams" Now scroll up and read what you wrote. Unless of course you dictate it to someone to write for you.

""All of Luhi's EIGHT losses came against New York State teams who are not NATIONALLY RANKED. Now go crawl back in your hole and accept the FACT that Luhi is one of St. Francis Prep's 2 season victories. roflamao""

haven't rice and christ the king both been NATIONALY RANKED at some point this season?

the st. francis prep loss is embarassing. there's no doubt about that. but i think it's time you moved on. it is a FACT. they lost to a terrible team, the injuries are a lame excuse. but this is a different team now than they were then.

if they win two games in glens falls, including beating jamesville dewitt, who own one of those two lincoln defeats you talk about, will that be enough for you, or will you still be stuck on the st. francis prep game?

"All of Lincoln's losses (except two) came against nationally ranked out-of-state teams so since this is a NYS ranking they're ranked about right. They only loss one game

All of Luhi's losses came against unranked New York State teams with a glaring loss against the bottom of the barrel St. Francis Prep which most high school JV squads could beat with their starters hurt. Only reason Luhi is ranked #2 in Long island is because L.I. rankings has a lower threshold."

When you quote be sure to use the full quote and not what's convenient, scoop.

Bob,

You cannot move on from a loss while we're still in the season of that loss. It happened. Accept it as part of the fabric of this seasons team. I will move on from that pathetic loss to St. Francis Prep along with the losses to BISHOP MAGINN, NEW ROCHELLE, CHRIST THE KING, GORTON, THOMAS JEFFERSON and RICE, next season when all the teams start with a clean slate, and not just luhi.

I stand corrected (thanks Bob) with regard to nationally ranked teams that luhi LOSS to. Rice, Christ the King and Thomas Jefferson are or were nationally ranked but in-state teams, not out-of-state like I mentioned and Luhi loss to them all.

Geez Looks like everytime luhi stepped up they got beat down. So if you're gonna call the one loss to St. Francis Prep a fluke and move on ya gotta call St. Anthony their one big win a fluke too. Can't have it both ways.

If luhi beats jamesville dewitt I will be impressed since jamesville beat Lincoln like they were a step child. Until then, luhi is just another long island team tryin' to get a rep in the real world wit the big dogs.
This post was edited on 3/18 5:01 PM by TopDawg7

i'm not some luhi fanboy who's trying to say that the team can do nothing wrong, that tobias and ash are the greatest players ever, and that nobody can beat them.

i never said st. francis prep was a fluke, if you look i said it was an embarassment. losing to a team like that was disgraceful and inexcusable, no matter who was injured.

but it's clear as day that the team has rebounded from that low point, learned from it and moved past it. might be time for you to do the same.

Good topdawg I am holding you to your word. JD beat them bc JD is probably the best team in NY and i look forward to watching lutheran snag a right to be in the discussion.

Like I said Bob. I will move past this season in about a week and change. Right after the federations.

but that's your problem... you're not focused on the season, you're focused one one game... or even one stretch of the season. you're not looking at the big picture.

it is a fair discussion as to why they took so long to play to their ability... why they played so poorly at times, injuries aside. i'd put it on the fact that they have so many new players. it's simply not an ideal way to go.. it might work just fine and dandy on the aau circut to just collect talent and throw them together but in the real world it takes time for kids to learn a system and mesh together as a squad. obviously this luhi team needed a long time to do that, but it certainly looks like they have.

but it is a put up or shut up world, so if they walk away from glens falls without a championship then the season was a failure.

The irony of your statement is that you've focused on one game as well when you say "if they walk away from glens falls without a championship then the season was a failure." The championship boils down to "one" game.

It is indeed a put up or shut up world and great teams focus on one game at a time. They don't overlook a team no matter how good or how bad. They may lose games but they just don't lose games to below the bottom of the barrell teams. That's like the San Antonio Spurs losing to a C.Y.O. Girls team.

Truth be told, luhi shouldn't have lost to Bishop Maginn (with Tobias) or Thomas Jefferson but they did. I could have focused on 3 three games. I highlight St. Francis Prep because they are no where near as good as the two I just mentioned. Upper tier teams might lose to Maginn or Jefferson because they got up on the wrong side of the bed or because the stars were aligned just right or maybe because of divine intervention but when you lose to a team called the "Terriers" its a disgrace to the game of basketball in my opinion. I don't think any nine of the top ten teams in Long Island would've or could've loss to SFP which is why I think a #2 ranking for them is a stretch when your 17-8. They seem to be ranked on potential and not on performance.

Bob065 I disagree with you when you say "if they walk away from glenn falls without a championship then the season was a failure then all the teaching about life and basketball is a waste sometime the learning lession is more important then a game you have to wait for over six weeks. Anyone can win or lose just ask Mount Vernon.

No they are ranked at two because they are on a 10 or 11 game win streak. This team is more than potential. 17-8, yes, looking at the season as a whole, you are not. Don't tell others to look at it at as whole when you can't do it yourself. They had a rough patch and now they are on a good winning streak and playing better basketball as a team. So what is your point? They lost 8 games?? They are playing much better basketball now. YOU (topdawg) look at the season as a whole.

Originally posted by AZ PREPS:
Bob065 I disagree with you when you say "if they walk away from glenn falls without a championship then the season was a failure then all the teaching about life and basketball is a waste sometime the learning lession is more important then a game you have to wait for over six weeks. Anyone can win or lose just ask Mount Vernon.

Probably the best post anyone has made on here in a long time. Seriously, can we all get a grip? How can you tell a group of kids and coaches from ANY team that their season was a failure if they worked hard and did it the right way? I sincerely hope most of us, if not all, understand what the real purpose of high school basketball should be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT