ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: St. Mary vs. St. John the Baptist

mwingate

NYCHoops Publisher
Sep 11, 2007
Who will win Tuesday's game between #4 St. Mary's HS and #5 St. John the Baptist HS?

I saw the St Mary's/St John the Baptist game last night and it was serious. St John's won on 2 free throws by Kaleev. What impressed me the most was that tall kid Bailey #20. I never saw him before but he's about 6"5 long, athletic & aggressive with skills. He came in blocked 3 shots & altered 3 more, pulled down rebounds, went to strong to the hole and scored EASILY (2X in only 3 minutes). The coach took him out for the rest of the game??? Maybe it's me but not sure how you can hide the tallest kid on the team with obviously superior skills on the bench!

I think if SJB wins Friday, its their first undefeated season in school history. Not shabby at all.

Sounds like the boys are destined for a rematch with Iona Prep for a state chip! That should be a helluva game!!!

you are right the game was hot that night, but if the coach let them play like they wanted to it would have been a lot more heat up in there (talking about the coach from St. Mary's)

My fault, I meant undefeated in league play. They dropped one to LuHi and another in a tournament in Florida over the Winter break
This post was edited on 2/19 9:14 AM by no look pass

I agree that SJB is going to the chip. They are well coached and the players seem to fight for him. Chaminade and Mary's have the same problem. A lot of talent but their coachs' don't know how to properly use it.

Originally posted by wingdribble:
I agree that SJB is going to the chip. They are well coached and the players seem to fight for him. Chaminade and Mary's have the same problem. A lot of talent but their coachs' don't know how to properly use it.

I'll go one better! They'll beat Iona Prep in the chip and then bet LuHi in the feds!!

Very possible we'll see Marys vs SJB for the third time in the NSCHSAA finals, but Chavaughn Lewis is still out from what I see.

If Chauvaughn Lewis doesn't play, Mary's doesn't win. You gotta remember, Coach Harkins is still about as bright as a 2 watt light bulb. The only thing different between this year and last years dismal team is the talent that surrounds him has matured.

See now that's where you're wrong. Chevaughn is definetly a key but Mary's is deep enough to beat SJB without him. They have about 6-7 players on that team that can be the leading scorer on any given night. It's just a matter of putting the right players on the floor at the right time, playing the right style. This is where the coach gets lost.

St. Mary's has a bunch of midgets, coach included. Charles McCann, for example, is decent little big man (6'1 power forward) out on the island but way too small to do any damage once he gets off. He will be in for a rude awakening when it comes to recruitment. The rest of the kids are good kids, decent players but all undersized. Basketball is very unforgiving when it comes to height.

You're right and that was exactly my original point. Chevaughn is about 6'4 and plays outside on the wing. That kid Bailey is about 6'5 long and skilled and he gets no burn and he has McCann playing center at 6'2? Midget coach only gives quality time to the other midgets. No clue!

I was about to say...even since Lewis has been out I still haven't seen much of Kirk Bailey in the box scores. He's the longest kid they have.

St. John the baptist must have some hella coaching. Anytime a team of nobodies beats up everybody on the regular, theres a clever person runnin the show. Best catholic school on the island, period. They're like Chaminade on steriods. lol
This post was edited on 2/23 5:36 PM by TopDawg7

Originally posted by Oldschooll:I'll go one better! They'll beat Iona Prep in the chip and then bet LuHi in the feds!!

Oh well, I guess that won't be happening. Congrats to Ginyard for an outstanding effort.

I hear you! Had to think with how well they played this year and the success last year that they would run the table. Oh well, that's why they play the games!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT