ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Southside?

The heart and soul of the South Side HS team is point guard, captain and their only returning All-County player, Jesse Winter. He is one of the premier ballhandlers and passers on the Island and is a sharpshooter from the outside who can take it strong to the hole. He is the team leader in steals. He was the only player to play all 32 minutes in the sweep of Westbury HS by South Side HS last Tuesday night. He was the only South Side HS player named to the Newsday All-Long Island Team (2nd Team).
This post was edited on 4/30 1:13 PM by rikrichter
This post was edited on 4/30 1:13 PM by rikrichter

jesse winter had some nice passes and played well under pressure late in the westbury game the other day. it would be between winter, idris alford (good shooter) and brett cohen (at 6'5 his put backs and rebounds are a big help). overall, i would say cohen, because height/rebounding are harder to find on LI.

NLP, very good points about Winter's playmaking and ballhandling, Alford's scoring and Cohen's solid inside game. You can add Leon Taylor to the mix with his incredible athleticism, sharpshooting, pressure defense and solid rebounding. And Brendan Meehan's stock is rising as he is complementing his oustanding defensive effort with an aggressive offensive attack featuring an eye-opening vertical leap.

Off the bench the opposition cannot take lightly big man Tim Krutzler who runs the floor extremely well, rebounds aggressively and is a strong shotblocker, Joe Vastola who plays very sound, fundamental two-way basketball, Kevin Brown who provides speed, great defense and sound ballhandling, Mike McDerby who is a lock-down, prime time defender and is lethal with his outside shooting, David White who was the JV's MVP last year and has become a very versatile offensive threat, and Bernard Kiernan who provides a very athletic big body that can bang with the best of them and run the floor to score off of feeds from his teammates.

At the end of the day, it is South Side's experience and depth that makes them the cream of the crop in Nassau ABC-1.

u are right though in that they are the cream of the crop b/c they are deeper than every other team, probably because they dont have to rely on one scorer as hewlett and roslyn does. westbury is up there with them though because i believe they have the stronger guards, just nowhere near as balanced. i would say of the bunch you mentioned, cohen is most useful just because he is probably the overall best big man in the conference, something westbury doesnt have
This post was edited on 1/24 4:00 PM by lisound46

Rik, I agree with you on Taylor's athleticism too. Yes, they also have guys off the bench that are adequate. Most importantly, Meehan hit his free throws against Westbury, as did Winter. A lot of teams are sub par from the stripe which is what makes the difference in big game situations. Westbury would have completely blown out Malverne had they made at least 50% of their FT's in the first half.

I slept on SS early after I saw them go down to Uniondale and get blown out by Elmont. But since then I agree, they're the most versatile team in ABC-1. Nobody blows you away on sight like Beamon does, but they have every need adequately filled . SS is definitely the best in ABC-1, followed by Westbury, Roslyn, then Malverne.
This post was edited on 1/24 5:17 PM by no look pass

The South Side Cyclones continued on a huge roll extending their winning streak to 12 in a row last night (9-0 in Nassau ABC-1) with a convincing sweep of the Malverne Mules, last year's NY State Class B Champions, in their home-and-home series. Jesse Winter continues to get the job done with his superior floor general skills and led the team with 23 points and 8 assists. Center Brett Cohen had another convincing 15 point/10 rebound double-double despite splitting time with his back-up. Guard Idris Alford chipped in with 10 points and swingman Leon Taylor also had 10 rebounds. The play of the night late in the game was Winter's gorgeous no look-pass to Alford who cut from the right block to the left block out of a half-court set for a score which blew the roof off of the Twisterdome.

With the South Side Cyclones road mauling of the Floral Park Knights by 25 last night South Side H.S. has clinched first place in Nassau County ABC-1 and the #1 seed in Nassau County Class A Playoffs with two regular season games left. They have now won 13 games consecutively and have won all 10 games in League play. 12 players filled the scorebook yesterday with the starters getting limited action after allowing only 11 points to Floral Park in the first half. Credit terrific individual and team defense. Three players scored in double figures (Alford, Taylor and Meehan) while Cohen led all rebounders with 9 and Winter distributed 9 assists.

South Side's clinching of the #1 seed for Nassau County Class A two days ago against Floral Park did not seem to create any great urgency for a "W" for South Side last night from my perspective. At many times during the game many of the starters and primary subs were not on the floor (it was almost like watching an audition for next year's team) and one of its starters was missing from the game due to illness. Obviously you should never look past an opponent as Jericho had just upset Hewlett two days earlier and played their hearts out last night for a very tough and well-earned win. Despite its shortcomings South Side forced a big turnover and had the ball down by 1 point with under 10 seconds to go but just missed the potential game-winner from the right baseline as the clock was about to expire.

Rik-you seem to have a biased opinion. Putting up a link for Winters' accomplishments is whats wrong with LI basketball. He only made all county because his coach is "in". Coaches has favorites and D'Angelo in known for picking kids for their connections and not ability. Look at the top 12 game for Nassau. I was at the workouts and believe me half of the kids were not the best. Thats why they were blown out. The team is led by defense, which the coach only expects some kids to play. Watch the games with true eyes and you will see.

f4t - With the exception of rebounds and blocked shots, which center Brett Cohen was the regular season leader for South Side H.S., point guard Jesse Winter led in every other statistical category: points, assists, steals, 3-point field goals, free throws, minutes played and games started. He was the floor general, ballhandler, playmaker and passer who controlled the tempo of the game and rarely turned the ball over for the #1 seed in Nassau County Class A which won 14 of its final 15 games. He was also a big contributor to the blossoming of Cohen's breakout year.

By the way, All-Star Games that you speak of are nothing but pick-up games with no coaching and no practices. The outcome of these games are meaningless and of minimal value.

All you say is true. He is leading in a bunch of categories. What you may not know is he takes the most shots(not good for a point guard) he plays matador defense(cherry picks when people rotate to help on his man) He does lead with minutes played. Thats good when and if he plays "D" and no turnovers. Which he leads the team in also. He is a good player, but I have first hand knowledge that the coaches are doing anything possible to make him look better than he is. Stats my friend are not always exact. Considering in the "books" he is the only one with assists. That's humanly impossible. Cohen and Taylor the only ones with rebounds? They would lose by 40. There are other kids on the team who contribute. Where are there stats? Cleverly omitted. This is what's wrong with HS sports. Don't assume what you see in the paper or "books" are the truth. Why does one player get so many break away layups? (either they are picking pockets like crazy) or someone else is doing the work. (Lets recognize that)I like the kid. I think he is a great asset to his team. Hearing the coaches say" He is the dominating force for our team" is disturbing. Watching the coaches yell at everyone else and not Winter is disturbing.

My take on South Side is that it is a well-rounded, athletic, very talented team and plays very well at both ends of the court. On any given night any of the starters can lead the team in scoring. They have quality bench players who specialize in different things very well (ie: defense, rebounding, outside shooting, speed, etc.).

Regarding statistics, everyone knows that the Newsday.com stats are not reliable as complete stats for every player are rarely shown for all of the games.

Since you give the impression that you have intimate knowledge about the South Side program who do you feel should be the PG and why?

If Winter goes D3 he will be lucky. He is simply not a good bball player. If I were him I would take that work out of his off of you tube,it's a joke. Only hurts him.

I think Winters is the best point on the team. However, he is not the best player. They do a good job with making him look good. If you dont have to defend at the point you can do whatever you want. How many good guards do you know who dont defend. And he is not as deadly shooter as people think. In the weak league they play in you should get at it on the defensive end all the time. Not when you feel like it. I saw a recruiting page he made. He is very proud he leads his team in minutes. Count his turnovers, assists and points his man is scoring. He isnt earning those mins. He is given them. As deep as they are, if you dont defend you shouldnt play. I saw the you tube also, sooooo funnny.

Reading between the lines it sounds like you are highly critical of the job that the coaching staff has done. Their track record this year and in previous years has been impeccable. Didn't South Side just finish with the #1 seed in the upcoming Nassau Class A Playoffs? And haven't South Side and Jericho shared all of the Nassau County Class A championships in recent memory?

The South Side Cyclones will return to the Nassau County Class A Championship Game next Saturday at SUNY Old Westbury College at 5PM vs. George Beamon's Roslyn HS. South Side pulled out a gutsy, come-from-behind victory against a very physical Hewlett Bulldogs team in which the Cyclones outscored the Bulldogs 22 to 9 in the last quarter. Jesse Winter and Tim Krutzler led the way with 15 points and 14 points, respectively and each shot 6 for 6 from the foul line in a foul-plagued fourth quarter. Winter had a key steal late in the game at half court and converted the layup and also found a streaking Brendan Meehan on the right wing for another layup to help seal the game. The Cyclones' bench played a huge role with David White scoring 4 important points late in third quarter comeback and was supported by a key steal and inside passing by Mike McDerby, terrific interior play of Krutzler, excellent playmaking of Kevin Brown and a clutch 3 pointer by Idris Alford. Brett Cohen, Leon Taylor and Meehan each contributed 6 points in a very balanced effort.

"South Side Goes Deep on Hewlett"

This story can be viewed at:

http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=915205
This post was edited on 2/21 10:55 PM by rikrichter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT