ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: L.I. Lutheran or St. Mary's?

mwingate

NYCHoops Publisher
Sep 11, 2007
Which is the better team, Luhi or St. Mary's? ...and why?

Yes, St Mary's took the win although both sides were missing pieces, Lutheran doesnt have much after there starting 5 this year, if St Mary's has enough depth they may have the advantage

You obviously don't know their bench. They have a much deeper bench this year than last year but you are right the teams were not fully assembled so the that game is really not something you can use to make a judgement.

well with the advantages luhi has over CHSAA schools in recruiting they should never lose to anyone on long island. they should be the best team on the island every year, this year included. whether or not they are is yet to be seen.

i thought that was fairly obvious? CHSAA schools can't bring in new kids past sophomore year. lutheran brought in one of the best players on the island as a senior. that's not an advantage?

hey, it's all legal. they play within their own rules but it's certainly an advantage.

If you think that is an advantage so be it but alot of the CHSAA schools are much larger than Long Island Lutheran and some would say that is an advantage.

tell me the deep bench you speak of? sbarro? alford? not much there with the demanding schedule they play

You must not have seen seen Sbarro play with the team, he has been a sweet surprise for their bench, and he is only a sophmore. KJ Lee is another great addition. There are several sophmores and juniors who are improving greatly and will be a great relief for the starters as will Alford and others that have not even played yet due to football.

Theyre good long island players, young and unproven...when they get into there tough schedule Coach Buck can really only rely on his starting five

Originally posted by hoopster248:
If you think that is an advantage so be it but alot of the CHSAA schools are much larger than Long Island Lutheran and some would say that is an advantage.

ummm how? when private schools are more or less hand picking their teams, how big a school you are really doesn't matter.

Who are the best players on each team? Again I don't know much about LI but would like to learn. Thanks.

If you have a bigger pool to pull from I would consider that an advantage.Hand picked? Students transfer to private schools for many reasons ie: good academics,social atmoshere, smaller class sizes and yes for the sports programs they offer. Long Island Lutheran may attract basketball players just as St Anthony's attracts football players because of their reputation for having a quality program. The beauty is the kids receive a great education at the same time.

Originally posted by hoopster248:
If you have a bigger pool to pull from I would consider that an advantage.Hand picked? Students transfer to private schools for many reasons ie: good academics,social atmoshere, smaller class sizes and yes for the sports programs they offer. Long Island Lutheran may attract basketball players just as St Anthony's attracts football players because of their reputation for having a quality program. The beauty is the kids receive a great education at the same time.

right. and they go to rice for the class sizes.

again, they don't break any rules. but to say it's not an advantage is silly. tobias harris never could have gone there if they had the same rules as the CHSAA.

end all be all reason why they've been good? no, as they were so-so at best from the time nicholas left till the time they hired carey. and the other private schools sorta stink. so it's obviously not the only reason, but yea, it's a nice thing to have in your pocket. much nicer to have than a larger student body.

Congratulations to LUHI on a great win last night , to Ash on a spectacular 34 pts, and to the underrated bench who did their part against some very tough competitition. Great team effort!
smilie2.gif

Great win by luhi brought great intensity, and ash looks back to his true form, but your underrated bench contributed 2 out of the 65 points, someones going to have to step up, they cant play 5 the entire season

The bench did exactly what they were supposed to do, rotate in and out to give the starters a break and maintain the level of play and they did that just fine. Some of the starters only scored 2-4 pts the whole game. I do agree that Ash looked great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT