ADVERTISEMENT

Discussion: Moses Brown says 1 and done sucks. Does it?

1 and done can be a blessing and a curse. Some high school player's a built like pros both physically and mentally. Others are pro level physically OR mentally while some are neither. They say players are one level lower than they think they are and two levels lower than what their parent's think.

7'0" Stephen Zimmerman and Isaiah Briscoe were thought to be shoe-ins for the first round. Now both are fighting for their NBA lives as un-drafted players. Perhaps both would've been helped by another year of college ball. Now both may potentially be 1 and DONE!!!

I think the NBA should allow players to forgo college and enter the draft. However, I think the NBA should model what Major League Baseball does which is allow the kid to go back to school if he is not happy with his selection as long as the kid has not hired an agent. I would also add two more rounds into the draft. Now this will force NBA teams to really do their homework and consider the risk of taking a HS kid or a 1 and done. Also with the D League that becomes a viable option for kids that you draft. Teams will feel less pressured to hold a spot for a kid not yet ready.

I think the NBA should allow players to forgo college and enter the draft. However, I think the NBA should model what Major League Baseball does which is allow the kid to go back to school if he is not happy with his selection as long as the kid has not hired an agent. I would also add two more rounds into the draft. Now this will force NBA teams to really do their homework and consider the risk of taking a HS kid or a 1 and done. Also with the D League that becomes a viable option for kids that you draft. Teams will feel less pressured to hold a spot for a kid not yet ready.

The problem with opening the floodgates and letting everybody forgo college is that every kid will forgo college. Why? Because they all think they're LeBron, Chris Paul Steph Curry and Kevin Durant. For the few who have the skills to go straight from High school to the pros, there are an abundance who need a year or two of college if not for an academic education for a reality check on how good or bad their game is. Secondly, the college game would go right down the crapper with a bunch of OK players.The Big Dance would surely become a slow jam.

The problem with opening the floodgates and letting everybody forgo college is that every kid will forgo college. Why? Because they all think they're LeBron, Chris Paul Steph Curry and Kevin Durant. For the few who have the skills to go straight from High school to the pros, there are an abundance who need a year or two of college if not for an academic education for a reality check on how good or bad their game is. Secondly, the college game would go right down the crapper with a bunch of OK players.The Big Dance would surely become a slow jam.

While all good points, that is why I would change the rule that allow a player if he is not happy with his draft slot to be able to return to college. This puts an extra onus on the teams drafting to make sure that they are really sure about selecting a straight from HS player or an underclassman from college otherwise they lose their pick from that year. They allow this in Major League Baseball. Why not the NBA?

While all good points, that is why I would change the rule that allow a player if he is not happy with his draft slot to be able to return to college. This puts an extra onus on the teams drafting to make sure that they are really sure about selecting a straight from HS player or an underclassman from college otherwise they lose their pick from that year. They allow this in Major League Baseball. Why not the NBA?

Major League Baseball doesn't have a NCAA Tournament like basketball that's second in popularity only to the SuperBowl. If all the top tier talent bypasses College, the Big Dance will be reduced to a fox trot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT